free website stats program TFI and Heritage bars on 09 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI and Heritage bars on 09 Road King

bfmitch

TFI and Stage 1
Did my stage 1 last Friday. I already had Rush pipes with 2" baffles on the bike. I had bought a TFI and had it sitting on the shelf until I got my Screaming Eagle AC. Finally got the AC last Friday and got everything installed Friday afternoon.

Installing the TFI is easy. Just follow the instructions. I used the settings in the instruction sheet. Set the Green pot to 2:30, the Yellow to 3:25, the Red to 3:15 and the RPM pot to 4:00. You have to look at the total width of the arrow on the pot and figure out the position you want. You'll get it after a couple minutes.

The instructions don't tell you how to route the wiring from the TFI to the fuel injectors. (I had a professor who would say "that exercise is left for the student") I put my TFI in the empty spot behind the right side cover. I routed the wiring up along the frame member next to the tank. So far it looks to be staying there just fine.

The AC is actually harder to install than the TFI, although anyone who can follow instructions can get it done. Put just a bit of grease on the O rings so they stay in the shoulder of the bolt. If you don't the O ring can move and it will get pinched in the wrong position. You can probably guess how I learned that.

What a difference. The exhaust popping on deceleration is gone. As is the occasional loud backfire on startup when the engine was hot and had only been shut off for a few minutes. Just a nice loud burble when I back off the throttle. Acceleration is also much better. The RK wasn't bad to begin with but now it's in another class. It accelerates better and pulls longer in each gear. Two up the Road King can now, suprisingly, pull away from my son's '08 Super Glide Custom pretty smartly. That's when he is One up. Used to be I had to work to stay with him.

I filled up my tank just before installing the stage 1 parts. I calculated that tank at 39.7 MPG. That was a mix of riding two up and by myself, mostly around town. After installing the stage 1 I rode Sunday and Monday. Pretty much the same kind of riding except I have to admit I got on it a bit. When I refilled I got 37.8 MPG. Not too shabby. If I can leave the throttle alone I might do better. But, where's the fun in that?

The engine is running cooler too. The semi-scientific measurement I'm using is the heat on the back of my right leg and the fact that the rear cylinder didn't have to shut off when I was caught in traffic yesterday. I'll be changing to synthetic oil (Red Line) this weekend. It should be even better when that's done. I'm going to need every bit of cooling I can get when the temperature really starts to climb around here.

The bike even sounds better now.

Heritage Bars
Today I installed the new Heritage bars made for the FLHR. The dealer quoted me $800 to install them. The bars were $79.95. (I could have saved 20% by ordering them but I'm sometimes a spur of the moment person for stuff like that.) I installed the bars myself in about 3 hours. That's with quite a few smoke and coffee breaks while I re-read the manual. I used a replacement factory left grip from the dealer for $6.95.

Here's something to remember. I didn't see it in the manual. Remove the plastic cable ties that hold the wiring from the controls tight to the handlebars. If you don't, the wiring that runs through the bars will get hung up on them as they stick inside the handlebar. (three guesses how I learned that one.) I popped them out and the wiring slide through nice as can be. Buy 4 of them when you get the bars. They don't go back in as nicely after you pull them out.

You can install the part of the harness that runs from the throttle control to the nacelle before you put the new bars on. I did that and didn't need any sort of wire to snake the harness through the handle bars. Gravity and the stiffness of the harness did the trick.

Do be careful when disconnecting the wiring on the throttle control from the harness. If you break the little green locking tab there is no fix to it. At least that's what the manual says. I figure you could wrap the connector with electrical tape and it would hold together pretty well. I didn't make that mistake since I'm used to dealing with connectors like that.

After a 20 mile ride I like the new bars but they do make the bike handle a bit differently. It leans into corners much faster now (I think because I'm sitting more upright) and is more sensitive on the nasty gravel road I have to drive on. I'll get used to that.

Sorry for the long winded post. I figured some of you might want to hear about it.

Last edited:
Burt

That was an excellent write up and it should help many others contemplating the same type of mods to their bikes.

The MPG you are getting is a very good figure too.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

There's a certain imprecision to the gas mileage numbers. It depends just how much I lean the bike vertical while fueling. Given the way the bike runs I'd be really happy with 35 MPG for the around town riding.

Burt

Excellent post I wanted to put the heritage bars on my 07 roadking but the dealer told me I would have to replace all the cables. I opted for the reduced reach bars and let them install them. The cost of the bars were about 80.00 with installation the bill was right at $400.00. I didn't notice alot of difference in the reduced reach bars. Wish I went with the heritage bars.
What is a good long haul seat with rider backrest?

Wendell

Burt

Excellent post I wanted to put the heritage bars on my 07 roadking but the dealer told me I would have to replace all the cables. I opted for the reduced reach bars and let them install them. The cost of the bars were about 80.00 with installation the bill was right at $400.00. I didn't notice alot of difference in the reduced reach bars. Wish I went with the heritage bars.
What is a good long haul seat with rider backrest?

Wendell

I put the sundowner deep bucket with the adjustable rider backrest on my scoot. It is GREAT on long rides. I think I like it better than my La-Z-Boy, but, the La-Z-Boy doesnt have a 96" V-Twin sitting in the middle of it now that I mention it.....:D

Burt,
I just bought the TFI after having run the PCIII USB. I'll let you know what I think about it in comparison after it comes in. Great job on the bars. I just put 16" WildOne Apes on my RKC. After doing the wire extensions and getting it all run through the bars I broke the little green tab thingy.........
All I can say is, if you do it, take a step back, breathe, go have a beer/smoke, come back when you have calmed down and put some heat shrink tubing over it. It holds really good. Probably better than that poorly designed plastic clip. It's holding fine and I checked it out when I put the poly riser busings on last week.

I just bought the TFI after having run the PCIII USB. I'll let you know what I think about it in comparison after it comes in. Great job on the bars. I just put 16" WildOne Apes on my RKC. After doing the wire extensions and getting it all run through the bars I broke the little green tab thingy.........
All I can say is, if you do it, take a step back, breathe, go have a beer/smoke, come back when you have calmed down and put some heat shrink tubing over it. It holds really good. Probably better than that poorly designed plastic clip. It's holding fine and I checked it out when I put the poly riser busings on last week.

The shrink tube is a good idea. Radio Shack had some that would be plenty big enough in a bag of assorted sizes. At least they had it the last time I got real desperate and bought some from them.

I had originally been considering the PCIII USB but after all the good comments about the TFI here I bought that instead.

Sorry guys for resurrecting this thread but I just got me a 09 Road King and really didn't appreciate the stock handle bars that came with it. This thread provided by far the closest solution to what I wanna do. I need higher handlebar with more pull back than stock.

I just wanna confirm with bfmitch or anyone else who have done this conversion on the need to replace the electrical cables, clutch cable and brake cables with this conversion. As this is my first harley and if anybody can point me to a "how to do it" or provide a step by step guide would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

With the Heritage bars made for the Throttle By Wire touring models there was no need to replace any wiring. I didn't even have the issue with the brake line.

The most frustrating part of the entire job was getting the new left grip to stick. The glue that came with my Kuryakyn grips was no good. Nothing I had around would work. I finally bought some grip glue at the dealer. It worked great.

Back