free website stats program Texting while driving | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Texting while driving

Maine has this all under control... :lolrolling YA RIGHT! We now have a distracted driver law that will allow for a fine if you have been found texting, eating, talking on your phone, reading, applying makeup etc... and get into a wreck... talk about revenue generating, that's all it is!

Maine has this all under control... :lolrolling YA RIGHT! We now have a distracted driver law that will allow for a fine if you have been found texting, eating, talking on your phone, reading, applying makeup etc... and get into a wreck... talk about revenue generating, that's all it is!

So, are you saying one can text, eat, etc. and not get fined if they do not get in an accident? If so, then I think someone pulled a fast one in the legislature..and Yes... it is a money-grabbing law, basically saying you can be engaged in a dangerous act, but the Establishment will allow you to do it as long as you don't hurt/damage anything or anyone.

Even if it IS proven that most accidents could have been prevented, and substantial majority were due to distracted driver...proactive steps still have not been taken. Passive ones like fines and jail time occur AFTER the infraction and due process...but what about all the victims who died...what cost recovery to the public or private citizens can compensate that?

Answer, the money gets "dissipated" into some general fund that probably does not go to prevention or resolving the problem...nope lawyers, salaries and such, With whether sitting in the comfort of the home or incarcerated...the cost is still on going, Money maker...nobody really wins here...! Kind of like the bottomless pit called the "War on Drugs" been going on for years, but is anyone winning?

Last edited:
So, are you saying one can text, eat, etc. and not get fined if they do not get in an accident? If so, then I think someone pulled a fast one in the legislature..and Yes... it is a money-grabbing law, basically saying you can be engaged in a dangerous act, but the Establishment will allow you to do it as long as you don't hurt/damage anything or anyone.

Not necessarily an accident but you got the picture! Check this link...

PUBLIC Law, Chapter 446, An Act To Establish a Distracted Driver Law

Isnt it funny, how insurance companys used to ask you if you were smoking or listening to the radio when involved in an accident. Looks like the questioning phase is going to change again

I know this is not feasible for many reasons, but if teenagers are required to drive a stick-shift for the first few years, they will be better drivers as they have to pay more attention with both hands, IMO.

When I took Driver Ed in High School (they still had behind the wheel training), we started off on a column stick shift, and after we could shift without doing the bunny hop with the car, we "graduated" to an automatic. Even though there are fewer stick shifts today, I believe it's important to be able to drive any kind of car, "just in case".

That said, there are times that I wish the wife could drive the RG, again "just in case".

Sorry if I've hijacked the thead.
Here in Calif., we have a hands-free-only law, but I still see lots of people with their hands up to their ears wandering around on the freeways.

Here in Calif., we have a hands-free-only law, but I still see lots of people with their hands up to their ears wandering around on the freeways.

lol...including your states first lady, she was recently photographed driving while holding a cell to her ear :D

Back