free website stats program Texting while driving | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Texting while driving

This issue is a non-issue for me... I have a cellphone jammer I use both in the car and on my bikes. It works great. It kills a cell phone's signal for a 150' radius. One moment their talking, the next their not.

I have thought about these units and my first thought was what a great idea. Then I though if their call is dropped the first thing the do is to look down and redial. If they are texting they will keep typing until the message is sent.

Maybe I need blue lights and a siren :D :D

i am going to be fitting front and rear cameras to my bike with a Solid state recorder mounted to the fairing, with a sign on the back - smile your on camera :D

I like that one

Brian

The real issue is that people do not pay attention while driving. Laws banning texting and talking on a cell phone have good intentions, but these laws are concerned with a specific technology. Someone can be just as distracted looking at their GPS or radio as they are texting or talking on a cell phone. I was driving to work on my bike one time last year, and the traffic was pretty slow. I passed one car where the person was smoking dope, the next car had a driver reading the paper, the next car a person was on their cell phone and the next car had a driver doing her makeup. Made me wonder why we have so few accidents.

If all moving violations should resulted is a temporary loss of license, maybe people would pay more attention. Of course, speeding tickets on a bike would not apply.

Cell phone use should only be used in STOPPED vehicle period, or in the case of a car, the passenger answers the phone...! No live cell phone in the car for 18 year olds or younger...especially if multiple teens...! Talk about a receipe for disaster, imagine the distraction of multiple teens just TALKING..."--Like--Omigod!":small3d031:Some kids are even speaking in "text message lingo..." when will free speech end? It has already started!!! :newsmile07:

I know this is not feasible for many reasons, but if teenagers are required to drive a stick-shift for the first few years, they will be better drivers as they have to pay more attention with both hands, IMO.

More laws will not make a difference if the enforcement isn't there. Like I said in an earlier post there have been laws on the books for years that deal with "driving with out undo care and attention" and yet people still dont.
Driving is a full time job, but talking on a cell w/ a hands free device is no worse than talking to a passenger, or doing what ever......
I have seen posts on this forum about "whats the best cup holder for my scoot", lol

Although behind in most things, here in South Africa it is illegal to text and/or talk whilst driving for a number of years now. It is a spot fine offense.

Newbie here but have to post my .02 worth as this is a sore subject with myself and many friends. I do think cell phone use should be banned while driving, period except in case of an emergency. But even moreso feel drivers as a whole should be taught and instructed better. For work alone I log 25 to 30 k miles a year all over the US. From major cities to the most rural areas. No, I'm not a truck driver but my job is mostly travel. However, my son is a truck driver who logs close to 100k a year. In conversations with him and others he drives with, we are all in agreement that most drivers in general are much worse than they were 10 years ago. Is it cell phones, traffic, other distractions or just their feeling of entitlement where they think they own tthe road and can do whatever they want.

On a recent 5 week 3k+ mile job trip to Cincinnati, I saw several wrecks and countless near misses all which were the result of nothing but pure stupidity. Cutting acoss 3 lanes of traffic to make the exit or to get in the left lane. Trying to merge while driving 30 mph slower than traffic, slamming on brakes for no reason. I could go on for pages.

What's the solution? I have no idea but do think stricter training and regulations on getting your license would help. In our state any 10 yo with common sense could pass the drivers test after about 2 hours of instruction. Maybe we need some kind of staggered licensing arrangement like I have heard some countries have.

Just my .02 worth!

Back