free website stats program Texting while driving | Harley Davidson Forums

Texting while driving

BOWHIKER

Iowa just passed a law that will go into effect july 1st that teens 18 and younger can not text or talk on cell phones while driving . 19 and older can not text while driving . They won't issue tickets until 2011 . I think this is a start to safer driving .

Virginia will be the same & is taking it 1 step further starting July '10. It will be against the law to use a cell phone while driving unless you have a "hands free" device. Thank goodness, it's well past due

This law should be NATIONWIDE and not be directed at 18 year olds but EVERYBODY!!! And it should be enforced yesterday, not next year!

WAP.gif

I agree. What the cops need is a device that can tell if a person is on the cell or texting when they drive near them so they can pull them over. Next, stop giving any other tickets except those for a week or two and do this 3 or 4 times a year with steeply increasing penalties. And no, I don't use my phone while drivingmy car. I do text while driving the HOG in city traffic...Yikes!
WAP.gif

I agree. What the cops need is a device that can tell if a person is on the cell or texting when they drive near them so they can pull them over. Next, stop giving any other tickets except those for a week or two and do this 3 or 4 times a year with steeply increasing penalties. And no, I don't use my phone while drivingmy car. I do text while driving the HOG in city traffic...Yikes!
WAP.gif

I don't agree w/ this statement at all. I'm not a fan of big brother, here in Canada or in the US, having any sort of tech that would allow such (edit). I work in the Oil Patch here in Alberta and if I didn't use my phone while driving, I would never get any work done. That being said I always use a hands free device and pull over if I have to write things down.
There have been many studies that have shown talking on a cell phone is just as or not as distracting to the driver, as a passenger, drinking coffee or just about anything.
Txting and driving is just plain bad!
I dont know about down south but I know in Canada every Province has a Law that already deals w/ "driving w/o undue care and attention". So alot of times these new "cell phone bans" are just a political move to a law that already exists.
my $0.02
Canuk

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think passing laws does anything to prevent accidents and/or deaths. People who drive safely and are responsible don't need laws. People who do as they wish could care less about laws. If laws worked we would have no drunk drivers, speeders, red light runners ad infinitum. The only thing laws do is bring in revenue from violators, which is fine with me, but they do not make people drive safely. That is the result of a responsible individual who tries to do what is safe.

And passing a law directed at teenagers????? Good luck with that.:bigsmiley21:
Even most parents have lost control.

That of course is just my opinion.

Here in British Columbia Canada we have a total ban on talking and texting while driving unless a hands free device is used. It just came in at the beginning of this year and it was LONG over due. The number of people yapping on their phone or texting (can't believe anyone would even do that while driving) was incredible and every one was a collision waiting to happen. I never use the word 'accident' because I don't believe such a thing exists. I do believe we are all a tiny bit safer thanks to this law here. It would not hurt my feelings one bit if the hands free stuff was banned as well but that would be too unpopular politically at this point in time. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back