free website stats program Texas riders. | Page 13 | Harley Davidson Forums

Texas riders.

I'm wanting to try and do some riding in the great state of Texas this winter. It is the only time I have to ride at length. My folks lived in Big Spring way back so I know I need to get pretty far south in a hurry. I plan on camping at this point at least for the most part. Right now I plan on timing a warm day and entering through Amarillo, but I like that road from Trinidad to Clayton NM, but thinking it will be warmer through Amarillo. What can I expect in San Angelo or Sonora? Maybe cut back west to Fort Stockton?

I'm wanting to try and do some riding in the great state of Texas this winter. It is the only time I have to ride at length. My folks lived in Big Spring way back so I know I need to get pretty far south in a hurry. I plan on camping at this point at least for the most part. Right now I plan on timing a warm day and entering through Amarillo, but I like that road from Trinidad to Clayton NM, but thinking it will be warmer through Amarillo. What can I expect in San Angelo or Sonora? Maybe cut back west to Fort Stockton?

As you know. Texas is a big state, so can't help you in the Northwest, but let me know if you get to the Southwest (Houston/Gulf Coast) area.

Hope some of my compatriots will chime in and lend you a hand....stay safe!

I do know Texas is a very big state. I would love to get to Houston at least it would be warm down there. Corpus Christie is 71° on average. Maybe if I ride like a 20 year old I could do it.

That is great info and I just glanced at it. I was under the impression that the "hill country" was another term for the Austin area. This site mentions a loop NW of San Antonio that sounds knarly.
I am shooting for early February after I finish the taxes. I was telling the Wife about the campground I found in Big Spring and next thing I know I'm looking at Corbin seats with her in mind. I weaken at the 400 mile mark, she weakens at the 200 mile mark.
Thanks TripleJ that is a great website that will make this a great trip.
craig

Well, I took the trip (Feb 6th to the 14th,2000 miles) and it was a great experience, but I couldn't have made it without my Gerbing gear. I bought the Xtreme Element (XE) jacket and pants, the T5 gloves and a prortable dual controller. I was toasty in some very chilly and ridicules wind. But I rode the Texas Hill country or about 400 miles of it, including the 3 Sisters. The pictures prove I did it. By the way it was 81° in Leakey today, you will see it never got close to that while I was there but I met some great folks and learned about Frio points, birds and roads. Texas Hill Country pictures by webbtron - Photobucket

New to this site....and sort of a new biker. Used to ride about 30 years ago then life got in the way. But I'm back and enjoying the fire out of it!

Just got a 2012 Fat Boy Lo. I'm in Highlands, about 30 miles east of Houston. I'm working up to getting on I-10...that freeway is scary in a car!:small3d031:

New to this site....and sort of a new biker. Used to ride about 30 years ago then life got in the way. But I'm back and enjoying the fire out of it!

Just got a 2012 Fat Boy Lo. I'm in Highlands, about 30 miles east of Houston. I'm working up to getting on I-10...that freeway is scary in a car!:small3d031:

welcome to the forum. lots of good people with good advice...i personally stay off all freeways, even in my pick up. there is lots of good riding around the houston area where you do not have to been on those busy roads. not exactly sure where you are but if you head up toward Onalaska there is some really nice riding in that area..
as far as freeways go, i am planing a trip to key west without ever spend any time on a freeway, might make a 3 day trip into 2 weeks. but that is the fun part... :newsmile036::newsmile036:

anyone around Lufkin? looks like i will be here 2-4 weeks, brought the softail. looking for some good short rides since i am at work, hrs vary so can go during day as well

Back