free website stats program Testing Brake Fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing Brake Fluid

This is a good link, I have a Brake Fluid Shark, it tests moisture content, I also have the test strips. You might be surprised at how much the steel lines break down and contaminate the fluid.

Jack, not sure the above applies to the SS brake lines referenced in my previous posts. The inner core of those lines is Teflon which does not react to the glycol in the brake fluid. The braided steel exterior does keep the inner core from expanding the way the OEM rubber lines expand which diminish stopping power and take away from the lever feel.

Totally agree that clean brake fluid is important and changing from time to time will enhance braking and that brake fluid is probably the most singly overlooked maintenance item by most motorcycle enthusiasts.

I'm not so sure brake fluid won't break down any coatings over time as it is very corrosive.
Manufacturers may make such claims but i'd be interested in more data.

I'm not so sure brake fluid won't break down any coatings over time as it is very corrosive. Manufacturers may make such claims but i'd be interested in more data.

You could be right; not a chemical engineer so I certainly don't know. The manufacturers of the Teflon core, steel braided clad lines make no such claims. All which make testing brake fluid, as Jack points out, a good idea. I just flush my system every other season so it stays pretty colorless between changes; I need good brakes.:eek:

You could be right; not a chemical engineer so I certainly don't know. The manufacturers of the Teflon core, steel braided clad lines make no such claims. All which make testing brake fluid, as Jack points out, a good idea. I just flush my system every other season so it stays pretty colorless between changes; I need good brakes.:eek:
I'm with you, making flushing the brake system part of the maintenance one does goes a long way for safety and a happy Harley.

I'm with you, making flushing the brake system part of the maintenance one does goes a long way for safety and a happy Harley.
I dont know the answer to that, I do know the metal in the fittings can also break down and change the chemical structure of the brake fluid, that said flushing the fluid on a regular basis is a big plus

Those of you lucky enough to use DOT 5 brake fluid will not have the same concern about the hygroscopic nature of the polyalkylene glycol ether based fluids (shortened to glycol-based fluids). But DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 brake fluids are hygroscopic. So as a rule of thumb, it is prudent to flush and bleed the brakes (and hydraulic clutch if you have one base on these fluids) frequently. The frequency of this maintenance will depend on where you keep your bike. Those keeping their bikes in pretty arid climes may be able to extend this period more than those of us living in monsoon areas here in the tropics (like Houston!!!) or in the wetlands of the Northern West Coast. I suggest this as at the most an annual maintenance item in humid climes.

Cheers,

TQ

http://changebrakefluid.blogspot.com/p/brake-lines.html
This is a good link, I have a Brake Fluid Shark, it tests moisture content, I also have the test strips. You might be surprised at how much the steel lines break down and contaminate the fluid
http://buy.sharkind.com/c/brake-fluid-tester
Not sure what year they may have changed the fluid but a friend abs block locked up 09 ultra had to change the block and fluid , a week later got a notice from HD saying to change fluid every 2 years . I have a 12 ultra , changed my right then to be safe .

Back