free website stats program Testing Battery Cables | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing Battery Cables

glider.

BOT Machine
A common problem when you have a slow cranking speed on an older set of battery cables is sometimes due to resistance in the cables themselves.

If you have a meter (DVOM), connect the leads on to both ends of the cables one cable at a time while they are still attached to the terminals and set the meter on 1K ohms resistance. Crank the bike with these meter leads attached and see if the meter registers anything. It should barely register. If it does register any significant amount, there's resistance in that cable and it should be replaced.

If you have a slow crank when starting, you can also crank the engine when it turns over slowly until it starts. Shut it off then as soon as it starts and feel for a hot terminal or cable to see if there is resistance in any of the cables/connections. If there is you located the possible source of the problem.

When removing battery cables, always remove the negative cable first and install it last. This eliminates the possibility of shorting out the wrench to ground when removing the positive cable which can happen real easy. Shorting the positive cable could cause a battery explosion.

Replacing battery cables is no place to be cheap . Some make their own cables out of welding cables and solder on the end terminals for a good connection finished off with some shrink sleeves over the terminal to cable to seal things up.

Here's a good source for an outstanding set of battery cables that are superior to any others on the market.

thunderslide@hotmail.com <email for Richard Weihert that makes the cables

OR email directly to yoopercables@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sent several emails with no response and tried to call only to find the number was no longer any good. Could Yooper's Cables be out of business like many of the other small business, due to the state of our economy? :( Any thoughts on how to get ahold of them? How about ideas on another source for battery cables as I need to replace mine. I would rather support a small business than a large corporate one.

Thanks,
CatWoman

Thank you Mr. Data, I will try this and everything else I can think of...the name on the Yooper Cables web site was Richard Weihert of Waunakee WI but this may have been the previous business owner.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again!!

CatWoman

Update:
Richard Weihert of Yooper cables (yoopercables@hotmail.com) did eventually email me back - he had been on vacation. He is the newer owner of the business. The email address (kneesinbreeze...) belongs to the previous owner, Carl.

Unfortunately, I was unable to use the services of Yooper cables. I did, however, go to a Stereo install business (locally owned) and they made me cables of similar quality. They also recommended a shorter route for placing the negative, which I followed. If using this route for cables, make sure they use a solid copper cable as similar wire exists for stereo installation that has a nylon cord through the center wrapped with copper.

Thank you for your (as always :cheers) prompt, expert assistance, Mr. Data!

CatWoman :rider

Back