free website stats program tested coil,need to know what results mean | Harley Davidson Forums

tested coil,need to know what results mean

I changed crank sensor and still getting no fire. With multimeter,checked spark plug wire end of coil and it read 6.17. Can anyone tell me what this means?

does 6.17 reading of coil mean that it is bad?

Explain what you are measuring and where you have you meter leads..

When you said... "With multimeter,checked spark plug wire end of coil and it read 6.17. Can anyone tell me what this means?"

Means nothing. Sounded like you were reading the resistance of a spark plug wire with a value of 6.17K... Or maybe the primary of your coil at 6.17 ohms.
Sorry......

i removed the plug wires and placed one lead of the meter to the coil where the plug wire connects and placed the other lead of the meter to where the other plug wire connects.

i removed the plug wires and placed one lead of the meter to the coil where the plug wire connects and placed the other lead of the meter to where the other plug wire connects.

Look at the meter display and see if the reading is 6.17,,, 6.17K,,, or 6.17M. Do you know what range the meter is on? Something like 200 ohm, or 2K or 20k or 200K are common ranges you will see.

But it does not sound like a good reading because.....
If it's 6.17 ohms from tower to tower, its bad.
If it's 6.17K ohms from tower to tower, it most likely bad
If it's 6.17M ohms from tower to tower it's bad again.

Can't see how any multiple of 6.17 could be good.

Back