free website stats program Test rode 09 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Test rode 09 Street Glide

Well, this is my official first post on here and hopefully will be a new beginning to a new family. Today I took some members advise (after lurking for about 2 weeks) and test rode the 09 Street Glide. Just to give you some background on me, I had a 05 Yamaha Road Star that I customized, sold that and bought a 07 Street Glide. For me, I thought that was a dream bike. It was Cobalt Blue, 96", loved it. Unfortunately I had to sell it and ended up buying a 07 Road Star Midnight Silverado. I figured I can just bolt up a fairing with speakers and be done. I really missed that Harley family feel, plus the great look of the SG. So today I went and test rode. 500 deposit and an order later......It will be here in March. My dealership is having a spring delivery option where you dont sign or give anything but 500 bucks as a security for the bike. I thought that was great. But anyway about the test ride.

This bike, again compared to my 07 SG, handles like a rock. I literally felt like the bike was a hardtail. In corners, it rides like a dream. It tracks great through the turn, and you cant even tell there was a tire difference. But on a straightaway, you feel every bump. After reading on here, I thought maybe there is too much pressure in the suspension. Since it wasnt my bike I couldnt tell. As for the stock seat, I loved my stock seat on my 07. It fit my fatty just great. The seat on the 09? Ehh needs a little more space further back. Im also not thrilled with the (edit) looking tip if the seat. Why they had to extend the seat up I dont know. They should have just extended the chrome tank trim lower. Enginewise was pretty much the same. Wasnt really that much power but Im used to the 102ci the Road Star has. Im sure a stage 1 makes a world of difference from what I have been reading. I must say that the exhaust, GREAT. You can really tell the difference from the previous design. Add that to the rear cylinder cut-off. GREAT.

So all in all, I hope I can find a way to get an 07 seat to fit somehow and put a softer set of shocks on the rear and she is good to go. 2 things I HIGHLY recommend and will be put on before I even take it; Wild Bills Footboard relocators. I had them on my 07 and they are fantastic. Also, Soos's or Harley goodies 1" extensions. The Wild Bills put your boards 2" forward and the Soos or Harley Goodies kit put them 1" out. Made the bike super comfortable.

I just wanted to throw my .01 cent out for what its worth. I hope to get more info from you all in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike
New Jersey

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new bike.. I have posted on several other threads..I think the 09 Street Glide is the best looking of all the new Harley's. If I could you do just what you have done! It's going to be very difficult waiting until March.

Hey Mike
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 09 SG.
From my reading the posts on this forum and from what I have researched, the 07 seat won't fit without some sort of modification, primarily due to the wider frames of the 09 touring line. If you do come up with a solution let (me) us know. The floor boards sound real cool will have to check them out.

I bought one!! First bagger I've ever owned. Wasn't disappointed. Rode different bikes the last 30 yrs but never had a bagger. Shovel heads, soft tails, I'm in luv. The air ride is unbelieveable.It's a different class of riding.
There's a 03 night train for sale now, I'll never go back .

Hey Mike
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 09 SG.
From my reading the posts on this forum and from what I have researched, the 07 seat won't fit without some sort of modification, primarily due to the wider frames of the 09 touring line. If you do come up with a solution let (me) us know. The floor boards sound real cool will have to check them out.

Thanks Z. Where are you in NJ? Im up in Bergen Co. Did you find that the bike rode hard? Im also comaring it to my old 07 so Im not sure if you can compare it to anything. Let me know.

Thanks
Mike
New Jersey

I am jealous, I have a 05 RK and I drove the 09 SG there is no comparison. Harley has done so many upgrades to the bike its amazing. I should have never rode it because now I have to figure out how yo upgrade. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW SCOOTER!!!!!!

Congrat's Mike. I ordered my 09 SG but can't pick it up until May 09 - as I have to come back from Baghdad first. Get a ride in for me once you get it.

Congrats on your 09 SG, I'm loving mine. 1900 miles and counting.
I REALLY disliked the 09 seat, only thing I didn't like about the bike; it's a 30 mile seat. Recommend the Mustang Solo seat, plus the wide pillion, it feels and looks great. 07 seats mount with a tang on the seat. 09 seats, it's reversed, the tang is on the frame and the "socket" is on the seat. Frames are also some different, but several of us, led by Teleman001, have easily adapted the 08 Mustang Solo for the 09 Street Glide. Mustang has one coming out for the 09 in December.
Good luck with your new ride, you won't regret it.

Bone

Thanks Z. Where are you in NJ? Im up in Bergen Co. Did you find that the bike rode hard? Im also comaring it to my old 07 so Im not sure if you can compare it to anything. Let me know.

Thanks
Mike
New Jersey
I'm in Bergen County Myself,
I don't really have an opinion as to if the 09 rides harder than previous year glides, I think a better description may be that the ride is more firm, as related to me by a buddy of mine.

Back