free website stats program Test ride on a 2010 Street Glide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Test ride on a 2010 Street Glide

I have been thinking about a new bike for a while now. I went by the dealer yesterday and rode a Street Glide to see how a touring bike would be. I have to say I was not that impressed.

When I got my Fatboy, I was surprised at how little vibration it had, I always thought Harleys were supposed to vibrate.:) Well that nice, smooth "B" engine has spoiled me. While sitting and idling on the SG, it was very annoying. Fairing rattling, everything shaking. Now, it was 98deg yesterday so it was hot, maybe that made it seem worse.

The bike rode good enough, they set you up on a 20 mile route that includes some twisties. That part of it was very nice.

The next thing I noticed was the seat. While feeling very comfortable at first, after about ten miles, it seemed to be bunching up and not very comfortable. I have a Corbin seat on my FB and maybe am just used to it. Again, I am sure the heat did not help the seat out at all.

The worst thing about the ride and I guess you could blame the dealer is the low windshield. I know they look cool and I would have chosen the small one over a taller one, but I had to ride about 7 miles at 70mph and hated it. The wind buffeting shook my head like I stuck it in a paint shaker. Now maybe I have a huge melon, but I had to ride tucked down like a ricer to be a little comfortable.

I got back to the dealer and mentioned the above. Their responses were that the vibrating at idle goes away once under way. It did, I just was not used to it. The seat is not a big deal as I am sure I would change it anyway. Then they said about the wind that, "oh yeah, you need a 6.5 inch windshield, then it is fine." All of this had given me such a bad headache that I just wanted to go get some lunch. It stinks getting old I guess.:(

I am not bashing anyone with a bagger or their bikes. I actually love the way some of them look. I am just mentioning what I noticed on my first touring bike ride. They offered to bring the wife back for another ride on the Street Glide and then the Road King, so we will see.

When I got home last night, I ordered the Arnott air shocks for my Fatboy and am going to get a Baker 6 speed kit. I think my test ride helped me to decide to keep the Fatboy.

After reading so many great posts about how great the touring bikes are, I guess I was just a little disappointed. I was really expecting a big difference. I did find out that I am not quite ready for a fairing, maybe it will never be my thing. I did learn my Fatboy rides great and aside from the 6 speed, does not need much for me to be happy with it.

Has anyone else noticed these things? Did you just learn to live with them?

Ride Safe!
Your post is pretty old, but I thought that it would be worthwhile for me to reply anyway. I have only been riding for a little less than 2 years. In August of '09 I got an '09 Road Glide, and I love it unconditionally. At 80 mph it is as stable as Gibraltar. The fairing on the frame instead of on the bars take @50 lbs of weight off the bars, and makes it absolutely windworthy. It is a wonderful bike, and I recommend it without reservation.

Just traded my 07 Fat Boy for 2010 SG....WOW I am so glad I did. Love the bike. I am
6'4" and the wind is an issue....but I seldom rode w/ a windshield on the Fat Boy! I will get another windshield for when the ol' lady rides. Can't wait for 1,000 miles so I can take her off "stealth" mode!

Back