free website stats program Tensioner's cost in Canada | Harley Davidson Forums

Tensioner's cost in Canada

Animal

First time at the local Harley shop for Cam Chain Tensioner's. American model bike so the mileage is in miles. Tensioner's were wearing good so I won't have to go back for 50,000 miles. To-day our dollar is worth about .96 cents to the American dollar.

More info. about the install. The bike is a 05 Ultra with 28,680 miles. I got one of the local Harley shop's to do the work for various reasons. First time the bike was in their shop and it will probably be the last because they changed the chains as well as the tensioner's. With that low of mileage the chains where more then likely o.k. Two new tensioner's, two new chains, new bearings, new adjustable pushrod's, gasket, o-ring, clips and 4 hr's labor. $1,382.25

Attachments

• Black (Small).BMP
    695.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Why not the hydralic tensioner upgrade kit? They are around 400.00 U.S. includes chains, tensioners, oil pump, etc. Seems like it would have been a better deal on parts. Did the dealer offer that option?

That is about what it cost me to do the roller chain conversion 18 months ago. This included shipping from Herko, the bearing tools and all shop supplies and Andrews cams and all the parts for the swap. Of course I did the labour which took me about 9 hours. I am sure if I did them on a daily basis my time would come way down.
kemo

I'm a short on funds but was worried about the wear on the adjuster's and wanted to be proactive. The hyd. up-grade is $600.00 here and I plan to do that or gear drive in about 50,000 miles. I guess my real question is should the dealer have left the original chains in and just changed the tensioner's? Is there a way to get the chains checked to see if I was ripped off, because I was told they would only change the chains if they were stretched or damaged. Changing the chains was an extra $300.00.

Animal, I wanted to see if the prices on the parts were correct but can't read them when zoomed. Would you be able to post with a better resolution. I even tried printing full page and nothing but pixelated dots.

I tried scaning the bill a couple of different ways so I'll just type it out.

Quick install pushrod kit $209.95
Tensioner assy. primary $109.95
Tensioner assy. secondary $109.95
Chain guide $ 7.95
Retaining ring $ 1.95
Cam chin, primary $142.95
Cam chain, secondary $142.95
O-ring $ 1.95
Ball bearing $ 22.95
Roller bearing assy. $ 49.95
Gasket, cam cover $ 9.95
Labor, 4 Hrs.@ $111.00 per $444.00

Total with shop supplies $ 80.00 and Tax 65.85 is $1,382.25

Hoop

If you copy the address in the address bar up top and paste it into internet explorer browser, you can enlarge it there with no problems using the selection box at the lower right of the IE screen.

canadianJPG.jpg

Animal, I needed the part numbers.

I was able to read a few of them and it looks like the uplift over United States. MSRP is like 90-100%.

I have not done much sales and purchasing with Canada but is it normal to see that much uplift from US MSRP?
Even the labor rate of $111.00 is high. Are salaries that much higher in Canada? I have never been there so I have no clue.

Glider, maybe I am having trouble reading it because I am using FireFox. Everything I tried (zoom etc) just makes it worse.

$80.00 shop supplies? They must have some expensive EPA waste fee's in Canada. That is some crazy dough to charge for shop supplies. You could do it yourself Wrong Twice and still save money over taking it to a dealership...
There must be more to it that I am missing. Maybe Heavy taxes and fee's. (?)

So who wants to open an Indy shop with me right on the US boarder to Canada. Come across and save more than $$ 1/2 and we still will make a Great living......Win Win for everyone.

Back