free website stats program Temporary Fuel Filter Advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Temporary Fuel Filter Advice

I heard of a person that had a similar situation with rust in the tank and although I wouldn't do this myself because of the possibility of an explosion , he cleaned/flushed the tank VERY well to remove all traces of fuel or fumes and put a few boxes of 1/2" nuts in the tank, wrapped the tank in a quilt and put the whole thing in a clothes dryer just to tumble it for a few hours. It came out like a new tank and he lived to tell his story too.

Myself.....I wouldn't do this unless the clothes dryer was out in the back yard far from the house.

PS: if you get the tank free of rust, I would bypass the liner IMO.

I've taken at least a pint of rust out of the tank so far. Right now, it's pretty much rust free. My only real concern is the old liner. Some of it is still in good shape and should be okay to overcoat with another liner, or just leave alone. But there are still a few spots that are flaking. Bought a box (250 count) of 1/4" steel slingshot balls today and rolled them around the tank for an hour or so with my redneck rotisserie -- still flaking a bit. Still not sure on relining the tank. Two schools of thought of this. Thanks - Joe

JMO but I would think you may be better off with 1/2" nuts instead of balls for the sharper edges on the nuts to loosen things up better.

Glider - I'm on my third try on rolling the tank. I've used drywall screws, small to medium size nuts, and now ball bearings. Like I said, the rust is pretty much gone, except around the base of where the metal supply\return lines are welded to the bottom of the tank. It's the darn old liner that's giving me fits now. I'm getting there; but its taking a lot more beer than I thought. Joe

Back