Temperature Sensor for Dakota Digital

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by franka, Jul 22, 2013.

1. franka

franka Active Member

Currently I'm running a Dakota Digital oil pressure gauge which means that sensor is screwed into my crankcase. Just ordered a oil temp gauge and need to locate that sensor in the crankcase, I've been told some guys are using the sensor in place of the drain plug. Anyone have insight on this or a better way/place to install temp sensor?
    2007 Road King

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

On my 05RG there is a port to the right of the drain that my sensor is screwed into.

3. franka

franka Active Member

On my bike 07 RK that is called (according to the manual) the pipe plug. The difference between it and the drain plug is that the pipe plug mounts flush to the oil pan vs. the drain plug which does not. Does anyone know what the pipe plug is for? Can it be replaced with a temperature sensor?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Have you thought about a T fitting, that way you can have both reading from the same fitting?

5. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

I have the Marlin's oil temp gauge on my '07 Ultra. I just used the other plug that you are wondering about and kept my oil drain plug for oil changes.
    Use that other plug. No big deal.

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I've had the pipe plug you refer to out several times on my bike while using the Scavenger oil change system. No big deal at all. However, I have read that you want to be extremely careful when reinstalling this plug - very easy to over tighten and actually crack your case!

7. franka

franka Active Member

Thanks all, appreciate the input, I'll use the pipe plug for temp sensor and be sure not to over tighten. HDTalking makes it so easy!