free website stats program Teflon on oil drain plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Teflon on oil drain plugs

DCLARKE

I have a question for all you veteran wrenchers. I am the second owner of this Road King Classic and when I was changing the engine and transmission oil I found teflon dope on the threads of the drain plugs. The bike has 4,000 miles on it. In talking with the previous owner he said the MOCO did all fluid changes at 1,000 miles. Is this standard practice from the dealers to use dope on all fluid plugs? Is this something I should continue doing? I have never done this and cleaned the plugs and put them back in dry. Thanks for your help as always!

I usually put a wrap of teflon around my drain plugs. I'm careful to make sure none of the tape will protrude into the cavity. Even a tiny piece of tape floating around could clog an oil passage.

I DO NOT put teflon on the tranny or engine drain plugs. They have orings that you may want to change out each oil change (AutoZone or O'Reilly's). Buy a bunch so you are not having to scramble to find one on Sunday!

On the Primary, I do put a wrap or so of teflon tape on the pipe thread drain plug. Mine are old enough to be that type of drain plug. The newer models use more of an engine style drain plug that I think has an oring. If so, same advice as above.

TQ

Agree w/MDJ & TQ - clean & new o-ring is all you require. Don't believe the owner/service manual indicates the need for tape either, but I'm at work so can't verify...

In addition to a new O-ring, I put a dab of thread sealant on mine. I keep it away from the cavity end. Have never had a problem or leak. Might not be needed, but doesn't hurt... IMHO.

I DO NOT put teflon on the tranny or engine drain plugs. They have orings that you may want to change out each oil change (AutoZone or O'Reilly's). Buy a bunch so you are not having to scramble to find one on Sunday!

On the Primary, I do put a wrap or so of teflon tape on the pipe thread drain plug. Mine are old enough to be that type of drain plug. The newer models use more of an engine style drain plug that I think has an oring. If so, same advice as above.

TQ
I work at an indy shop part-time and that's the way we always do it. Rick would kill you if you don't.

They are tapered pipe threads and should have some teflon on them, Tho I have never had a leak with just using new O rings. I think The MOCO does this just to insure there are no leaks JMO:s

Back