free website stats program Tech question for the wrenches on here | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tech question for the wrenches on here

Marty,
I have had an 09 FLHTC for 2 months now. I went through all of the anguish, etc. as others and even threw on a set of slipons with the intention of getting a PC or Fuelpac, etc.
The power is good on the 09's, they are a little bit strangled though in stock config and run too hot for my taste. Got up to 257 degrees and while some say that's fine, I wasn't happy with it....I've spent hours researching this and what I ended up doing is getting the Stage 1 download (yes it works) along with the SE air cleaner and put some Screaming Eagle slip ons on it. It's perfect now for me, not too loud, legal and runs much cooler. I also added an Oil cooler and switched to Synthetic at 2k along with ditching the Formula plus oil in the tranny and primary.
So, a little more power, 25 to 30 degrees cooler, a decent sound that's legal without leaving my ears ringing. Fairly easy to do everything yourself and not too expensive if you get your parts from Zanottis as I did if you're so inclined. Leave the aftermarket fuel stuff, too many horror stories. Stay away from most Harley dealers AND the multitude of chop shop experts that will have you spending a ton of money only to end up with the 'possiblity' of problems down the road.
Just my 2 cents, enjoy!

LJ

I was referring mainly to places like the custom shop down the street from me, should have clarified. Recommended to me by a few people locally, I got stuff like loose oil drain plugs, disconnected breather tubes, etc. from them on my 1K service. I was just relating what has worked for me finally, it happens to be the SE stuff, that's all. Might try something different if I wanted something to race but I just wanted to cool the thing down and give it a little boost in power.

The forum consensus is do what you feel you can afford, 09 models are set up EPA lean but work just fine as is...if you want to "open her up and let her breath rather than strangled by EPA emission restrictions and run cooler in the cockpit" go with A/F fueler like TFI along with the rest of the Stage I mods, i.e. Slip-ons and A/C Intake of your choice. Either way you will be happy and not impact the longevity of your ride. Here is some sauce for the goose... :D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_da...comparing_exhaust_systems_and_hp_figures.html

Last edited:
thats just it possibility of problems - you still have the possiblity of problems with the Screamin eagle stuff as its not actually made by HD it just badged HD.
the early SE fuelers and maps were and most likely still are made for them under license, they are still not as good as the unlicensed product, and they use the 'void your warranty' at every turn so the unitneitated will end up, either never doing anything or fitting SE parts, all the Down load does is return the ECM back to the lean 14.6/14.7 but richens it up enought to cope with the SE parts fitted.

My mechanic warned me about the Warranty. ALL of this (aftermarket airbox, mufflers and fuel manager voids the Warranty UNLESS IT'S DONE AT THE DEALER PRIOR TO PICK-UP, according to both him (non-HD Shop), and the HD Shop. I can buy the mufflers anywhere and bring them to the Dealer to put on, and the Warranty will stay in tact. Which stinks- b/c I am perfectly capable of doing all this myself. However, when I weight that against a voided Warranty if ANYTHING else goes wrong, I guess the choice is clear to spend the extra dough and have the Dealer do it.

Does anyone know if the TFI voids the Warranty? I didn't ask the Dealer about putting that on... ???

Search the forum but NOTHING voids the warranty unless it does damage and then only THAT part is not covered. Many topics on this subject if you just do a search.

Search the forum but NOTHING voids the warranty unless it does damage and then only THAT part is not covered. Many topics on this subject if you just do a search.

I know man- I have read numerous posts on here about that. I didn't know if that information applied to the new '09's or something. It's hard to feel confident arguing when a trusted mechanic that I have known for years is telling me NOT to do the stuff myself b/c it voids the Warranty. I was surprised, so I was concerned and thought I would post here for input. I am not all that mechanically-inclined (I can do basic stuff), so I rely heavily on those with more experience than me. He told me that whether I did the mods, or him- an experienced shop with 35+ years working on HD's- that if there was a problem, even UNRELATED to the mods- that I would be up the creek without a paddle. So, you can see why I posted what I did.

As always, I guess I am wrong lol- and stand corrected. It's confusing stuff!! SHEW!!! :small3d023:

Back after doing even more research...

Glider- does it matter WHO does the work? Does it have to be a Factory Authorized HD Service Center, or can it just be me?

Anyone can do the work as long as it's not warranty work and some indies are authorized to do warranty work also.

And.... another point:

I also talked to my mechanic friend (not affiliated with HD in any way), and though he has heard of the 3rd gear 30-60-30x10 engine break-in, he advised me against that too. He said that although he understands the method, he says that HD has invested millions of dollars testing their recommended break-in methods and engine health. He said that from a "cover my butt" standpoint, to do it their recommended way, because if something goes wrong with my engine from breaking in, that I can say that I did it their way and I am covered.

For argument's sake, I countered by making the point that- one could say that of COURSE they want you to break it in their way, b/c it reduces the engine's life over the long haul, and you'll buy more parts, or another bike, and spend money on labor. He said that it was a valid point, but why take the chance?

Food for thought.... <now I'm about to pull my hair out LOL!!>

How long has your mechanic friend been working on motors?

Any certifications?

I started in 1969 and have a certificate or two.:s

Back