free website stats program Tech question for the wrenches on here | Harley Davidson Forums

Tech question for the wrenches on here

martysnarf

Glider, Hobbit, Smitty, et al:

With my new SG on the way, I am thinking about the Stage 1 upgrade. Had one on the old ride- loved it- but was planning to take the advice of another Forum member on here and ride the bike stock for quite awhile to really get to know it. Then, if I want to change out the airbox and add slip-ons, I'll do it later.

My question/concern is- riding the bike stock means riding it lean. And I am concerned b/c I get the feeling that a lean bike can damage the engine eventually.

Is it best to do the airbox/pipes/TFI upgrade right away- to avoid running it lean, or does it not matter? Obviously it can't be TOO bad for the engine, or HD wouldn't make them that lean. I am just wondering what I should do.

I want to take my time with this bike and not make a million changes in the first week, so that I can get to know it better first, and make the right changes slowly.

What do you guys think? THANKS!!

Riding it stock/lean will do little damage to the engine but it will run hotter than it could which may in the long run take a few miles off the expected life. It's what you feel comfortable with. For me, I do the stage 1 with added fuel right at the beginning.

I really find it hard to believe a stock HD rolls off the showroom floor in a condition that will eventually lead to engine damage. Yes, they're set up lean for EPA reasons and that makes them run hotter. I think it's much more important to get switched over to quality synthetic fluids which will withstand the higher temperatures of the stock motor. Maybe even consider an oil cooler.

Adding a TFI or other fuel tuner will undoubtedly cool the engine a bit and give you a slight power boost due to the added fuel. I've also heard it even makes the bike sound better. I haven't seen a single study proving it makes the engine last longer than if you left it stock.

If you want to just add the TFI by itself, you will accomplish the goal of cooling the motor down. It's not necessary to do the full Stage 1 for that purpose. If you're looking for some added oomph or you're going to switch the pipes or air box anyway, go ahead and do the whole Stage 1 and be done with it.

As an aside, many here are recommending if you switch pipes, you better keep the stock ones handy as laws evolve.

Thanks Glider! I was on the TFI website yesterday and read the install instructions, and now I'm scared of it LOL!! I don't mind the wiring and stuff, but it said you had to partially remove the gas tank, and then remove the O2 sensors out of the head pipes, so now I am freaked out. I installed a PC3 once, which wasn't as complicated- so now I am all spooked!!! :52:

Thanks Glider! I was on the TFI website yesterday and read the install instructions, and now I'm scared of it LOL!! I don't mind the wiring and stuff, but it said you had to partially remove the gas tank, and then remove the O2 sensors out of the head pipes, so now I am freaked out. I installed a PC3 once, which wasn't as complicated- so now I am all spooked!!! :52:

Don't even give it a second thought. It's so simple my grandson could do it.

Marty,

As far as removing the tank, the 6 gallon tanks don't have the front crossover, so they're a snap to deal with. Just pull the fuel pump fuse, run the engine till it dies (to remove fuel pressure), un-couple the fuel line (like an air line coupler), a few electrical connections (for you, I think it will just be the fuel pump and fuel gage connection), a few rubber hoses (over flow hoses) and a couple of mounting bolts. You don't have to drain them anymore!!

Good luck!

OH GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am REALLY freakin' out!!! :small3d031:

Do the Stage I from the jump; cool her down and get a little more grunt in the process. I don't know many that have worn out a TC engine; that shouldn't even enter into the decision. Have some fun!

Which TFI is the best one for the 2009's? They have the one with the screwdriver-adjustable pots, and then the new, fancy-looking digital one?

Am I confused here?

I've been riding my 09 SG bone stock and have no issues with it. I have a 106" stroker in my 99RK and the new bike definitely moves. I am not doing anything because of the local police. Cracking down on pipes etc. I say this now, until I feel the need I'm just going to ride the heck out of it!:D

Back