free website stats program TC88 stage1 carb shortcut? | Harley Davidson Forums

TC88 stage1 carb shortcut?

Big Rol

I'm working on a budget ( I know, shouldn't have a Harley )I have the V&H Big Radius pipes, I'm looking at filter kits that will work with the football cuz I kinda like the big old thing. I was told that instead of getting the carb jetting kit that there is a way to shim the present needle to do the job. It was supposedly on this or the other big HD site, I don't have a lot of time for a lot of searching so if correct can somebody steer me in that direction, mucho appreciated.

Thanks guys, what a wealth of information. Glider, great work, you must be one busy dude. I do search a lot but every once in awhile i get over eager or lazy.

I'm working on a budget ( I know, shouldn't have a Harley )I have the V&H Big Radius pipes, I'm looking at filter kits that will work with the football cuz I kinda like the big old thing. I was told that instead of getting the carb jetting kit that there is a way to shim the present needle to do the job. It was supposedly on this or the other big HD site, I don't have a lot of time for a lot of searching so if correct can somebody steer me in that direction, mucho appreciated.

ALSO you can MODIFY the original housing on stock air cleaner by CUTTING/DRILLING holes to allow more AIR to get into the stock housing....

I have never done this but have read about it.....

signed....BUBBIE

Now you got me interested, I was wondering about that. My bike was advertised as stage 1 but when I got it the carb hadn't been touched and the breather was stock. I'm gonna find the dimensions of a stage 1 adapter plate and compare to see the difference.Are most of them basicaly the same?

ALSO you can MODIFY the original housing on stock air cleaner by CUTTING/DRILLING holes to allow more AIR to get into the stock housing....

I have never done this but have read about it.....

signed....BUBBIE

I have done it on a sportster and on my softail as a stop gap measure to gain the extra flow of air as the stock air box inlet is very restrictive on the evos
i used a 1/2" hole saw to cut as many holes in the plastic of the airbox that i could fit in without affecting the structure or the flow from filter to carb but also upped the size of the slow and main jets at the time of doing it and then did some plug chops to ensure the fuel deliverd was ok for the higher air flow and i could hear the air being sucked in through the system after that
made a big difference on the sportsters ability to climb hills had left that as a stock bike for wifes first year of riding till she had a wee bit of experience and she could tell there was a fair bit more power after it had been done

Brian

I used the K&N kit for the breather but still had to buy the dynajet kit for the carb.
Yes kits take a lot of the guess work out of it and makes the carb more adjustable for finer tuning:) Have had nothing but happy customers using the kits.

Back