free website stats program TC88 Inner tensioner tool? | Harley Davidson Forums

TC88 Inner tensioner tool?

S

Sean'

Just checking to see if someone had a Inner tension tool for a tc88 they would rent out or sell? I have emailed someone I saw on YouTube that makes them but just checking all options. Thanks for any help.

Why not save yourself some $$ and just remove the cams/chain, replace the tensioner and reinstall? Heat the cam plate up with a heat gun and the cams are very likely to come out of the plate with the bearings. If not, just replace the bearings, they are cheap; a lot cheaper than a tool you will only use once.;) Are you replacing the tensioner shoe with the CYCO shoes?

There is only one tool that I have seen on YouTube that works. It is a quality tool made by a machinist but sells for about $120. Not a bad investment for someone that does this everyday but a bit pricey, IMHO, for a one time DIY job.

Yeah it's priced a lil high for sure. I'm changing the tensioners and outer chain not just the shoes. I was thinking last night about pulling cams out but it was late.

Thanks for the idea, I'm a fabricator and diesel tech by trade so While I'm waiting on parts I may play around with making a tool. Job started out just replacing the tensioners and installing a high volume pump but noticed the outer chain had damage and is binding up. Looks as if the chain and metal parts of the tensioner made contact in the past. The previous owner told me he replaced the tensioners before. He may not have noticed the damage then but I'd be a fool not to replace the chain while I'm in there. Thanks again.

Look at the banner on this web for George's Garage. He sells the tool & holding pins for $34.??.
I don't think you can change the tensioners without removing the chains & cams.
tourbox

I'm pretty sure your right. Unless you have some kind of tool it's not possible to change the Inner without damaging the tensioner or plate.
Thanks for the info, going to look into that right now.

The inner tensioner cannot be changed with the cams in the plate unless a tool is used. There are a couple of hiliarious YouTube videos of guys that thought they could do it that way only to end up throwing in the towel and taking the plate to a dealer to remove the cams. I have seen several version of home made tools for this purpose but by the time one scrounges up the miscellaneous pieces of hardware and fabricates a tool, the cams could have been removed and replaced several times. Heat up the cam plate with a heat gun and many times the cams will slide right out with the bearings and can be reinstalled the same way using the same bearings.;)

Well for it done and it really surprised me how easy the cams came out with just a little heat. Didn't take much at all and if I have to do it again I will do the same way. Glad I didn't waste money on the tool. If your doing it at home with limited access to tools then yes the tool may be handy but the price is still high.
Thanks for the help guys. Ride safe

Just checking to see if someone had a Inner tension tool for a tc88 they would rent out or sell? I have emailed someone I saw on YouTube that makes them but just checking all options. Thanks for any help.
I have made my own tool from a socket, I forget what size. I used an angle grinderand cut a slot out deep enough, then use it with a rachet. works well for what I'm doing .

F.K.

Back