free website stats program TC88 durability? | Harley Davidson Forums

TC88 durability?

sjcea

How long can one expect a TC88 to last before needing major motor work? Bike I just bought (2006 Street Glide) has 22k on it.

Depends on the bike,how you ride and maintain it.A friend just dealt his 05 with 139,000 on it,no major repairs.

I think a lot of it depends on how it was maintained and ridden before you got it. I have 68,000 on my 05RG and have had no problems. The 88 is a very well built motor.

Agree with the posts that cite engine maintenance and how it was ridden in determining engine life. My '99 Ultra just turned 80k and is going strong. So far the only work was changing out the tensioners.

How long can one expect a TC88 to last before needing major motor work? Bike I just bought (2006 Street Glide) has 22k on it.

2006 with 22k = about 3600 +/- miles per. As already stated and with anything mechanical it would depend on past maintence and care. Any idea on who had the bike before you?

With 22k on her... now would be a good time to have someone take a look at the cam shoes...It will give you a good time line before they need to be replaced. The cam shoes is the only weak link in the 88in motor...

My 06 Road King is just over 49K miles. The only “major” repair was having the cam bearings replaced. This was preventive as recommended by my mechanic. He had two TC88s in his shop where the bearings failed and ruined the engines.

As everyone has said; Its all about general maintenance and the previous owner.

For me at 33k, purchased with 9k on it. Throttle Body Shaft ( that was a fluke), cam tensioner shoes...CHECK THEM!!! Fuel lines in tank and a tranny seal leak. All rainy day projects.

I wont trade her. I may park her and play, but she's mine forever. The herd will just grow.

Back