free website stats program TC88 Cam Chain plastic shoe tensioner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TC88 Cam Chain plastic shoe tensioner

Thanks TQ.
I was reading through these posts/white paper a few days ago from the self help section. They provide excellent guidance.

My goal on these posts was to get educated on the tools needed, general procedures and such. Mainly so I have the ability to ask the right question using the right language when I need some help.

Thanks TQ.
My goal on these posts was to get educated on the tools needed, general procedures and such. Mainly so I have the ability to ask the right question using the right language when I need some help.

Well check out the pictorial on photobucket. I show the process and the tools used. Really, the only "special" tools you will probably need is the puller and installer for the inside cam shaft bearings (Torringtons!!). Regardless of whether you are going gear drive or roller chain conversion, you should change out the inside bearings from the cheap INAs to the Torringtons.

If you are considering the gear drive option, you should check the runout on the pinion shaft. So you will have to buy/borrow a dial indicator setup.

TQ

Thanks for the great advice TQ.
It was also mentioned that I would need the oil pump alignment tool. Is this true?

I want to look into the gear drive as well. Haven't started looking yet though.

My thinking is that the gear drive would:
1.) Be more effiecient (not that it really matters)
2.) Remove the consumable tensioning shoes from the system.
3.) Require more crucial tolerances than a chain, thus potentially requiring more expense/machining.

Anyway, I am getting excited about the project and I was also toying with the idea of installing a 6 speed transmision from Baker (I think they make one for this model...). I can see this getting out of control quickly:D:D:D

Thanks for the great advice TQ.
It was also mentioned that I would need the oil pump alignment tool. Is this true?

Porter,
I have Just Installed SE255 cams. I used the bolt cutter (i have a Big 24") carefully WHILE valve is CLOSED , using 5 gear with plugs out to turn over engine.,,, Lifting the chrome bottom cover up and snip the solid tube. Careful so you don't mar the chrome.. I usually cover tool with a shop cloth when in place and Have Not had a problem on the several bikes that I have done this way..

I bought the Better SEagle Tapered adjustable pushrods and Was Very Impressed with the Quality Now... NOT like the Old Ones HD Used to make..

Just thought to add above as a special note.

As far as Question on "special tools to align the oil pump", Other than 2 long full shoulder bolts to hold pump in position,(#3/4), I use the method in the "big book" about putting in 5 gear, spark Plugs out and turning engine forward,,, rotating engine While snugging bolt#1 and 2 then I replace long shoulder bolts ##3/4 with the regular bolts (this not in book about the 2 bolts I use) snug and torque All 4 to proper specks....

Never had a problem with Miss-aligned oil pump using this above suggested method..

signed....BUBBIE

Back