free website stats program Tapping noise and tranny oil leak - found it! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tapping noise and tranny oil leak - found it!

Like Glider always says, you need to buy the service manual. I don't have a pic because I'm too dumb to figure out how to get the picture memory bits sized small enough to post it.

But if you look on p. 6-6 fig. 6-3 you will see the chrome clutch release cover. The exhaust bracket is below the cover and has 2 screws. If you look at p. 6-19 fig. 6-33 you will see that these 2 screws along with 6 others attach the side door to the transmission housing. They are included in the torque sequence. However, I'm not sure if the case is fully drilled through and tapped but I suspect it is and that is where the tranny oil was coming from. It wasn't a lot of oil because the other 6 screws were tight and holding the side door to the case.

I didn't use any thread sealer (LockTite) because I didn't remove the exhaust. I'm hoping that tightening the 2 screws will do it. But I'll keep an eye on them. If this happens again, I'll probably take it in so I get new exhaust gaskets, etc. without paying for them out of my pocket. However, I'm a little leary about letting them work on it.

I love this site because there is more good info here than just about anywhere. I would guess most of the grousing is just that. Good old grousing!

Editorial...A lot of tatoos does not a mechanic make. Seems like they only hire young guys with shaved heads and a lot of tats (and of course the "tude"). I guess I'm getting to be an old fart. When I hire a mechanic, I'm more concerned that they have many mechanical skills versus many tatoos. I must admit, I have a couple of tats too and when I was a "kid" I had a "tude". Probably still do hahahahahaa I just hate paying top dollar for minimum wage talent. There, this ought to get you guys started!

Thanks for the excellent description. I went and got my '09 Service Manual and was immediately able to figure out which bolts. Went out to my bike a few minutes ago and sure enough, both bolts were loose.

Bike is an '09 Ultra Classic with just under 7K on the odometer. My regular 1/4" allen wrench fit on the rear and I cut down another wrench to work on the front bolt. Both bolts were a few turns out.

Just the slightest bit of wetness at the rear of that trans cover so I will definitely keep an eye on these bolts in the future.

Thanks again,
Dave

I checked out a buddy's 06 RK today. The same bracket on his bike is huge. It extends to 4 bolts instead of just 2 like on the 09. I wonder if that's part of the problem? This may be one of the improvements they made on the 09.

Called them? Nope, I took it in and showed them.

Their response? YAWN.....hmmmmm, OK thanx...

I really wonder if they will tell each other. Time will tell. I suppose in the great scheme of things, this is no biggie. Plus, unless a person has the extended warranty this will give them something to "fix" for big $$$$$ I'm sure after the warranty expires. We used to call it planned obsolescence or in this case unplanned obsolescence.

Man, I love this site, and my RK of course. We can certainly save each other a ton of money and aggravation.

I can't wait to see if HD goes back to the old style bracket if they ever admit to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I too thought it was the two bolt in the back at the cross over, but here's a few pix's of the right place to look Tom

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

I think these are 800x600 let me know if they work for you .Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom

Please repost your pics smaller. The max size allowed is 800X600 and you don't have the edit button on the original post so I removed them.

Thanks

I don't know if this is related but since I got my bike back from it's 8,000km service it has been making a fast ticking sound when I'm moving. It doesn't make the sound when I'm stopped but the noise seems to be coming from the top end of the bike. The engine still sounds good but this high end ticking is driving me insane! The guys at the shop think I'm nuts (not sure if being female has anything to do with it) but I know the sounds my vehicles/bikes make and if something is not quite right. Anyone has any info that could help it would be appreciated.

Darmon, though the guys in the shop think your nuts, make sure they LOG your complaint in their database just to be sure...! And do make sure you talk to the service manager or owner, after all it is a new bike and you should expect no less.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

As far as the noise, could be loose primary chain, and since you likely have an automatic tensioner do Gliders' tip for adjusting it by accelerating strongly up to 50mph and chop the throttle closed allowing the engine to reverse load the chain, tensioner will ratchet tighter (do this without pulling in the clutch until the last possible moment to not kill the engine), and repeat a couple of times...of course you should do this on a clear open road, traffic free...

Last edited:
As far as the noise, could be loose primary chain, and since you likely have an automatic tensioner do Gliders' tip for adjusting it by accelerating strongly up to 50mph and chop the throttle closed allowing the engine to reverse load the chain, tensioner will ratched tighter (do this without pulling in the clutch until the last possible moment to not kill the engine), and repeat a couple of times...of course you should do this on a clear open road, traffic free...

I had not heard of this yet. Will do this trick tomorrow am...

Thanks,
Dave

This is a great forum for information and such, but the more post like this that I read the less impressed I am with anything Harley Davidson builds. They're just high dollar average bikes. But kudos to their marketing staff for suckering us all in!!!!

NASA's rockets break down too,right?But they also make it to the moon!Anything mechanical is prone to failure.I just keep a good set of wrenches handy!

Originally Posted by hogrotten
This is a great forum for information and such, but the more post like this that I read the less impressed I am with anything Harley Davidson builds. They're just high dollar average bikes. But kudos to their marketing staff for suckering us all in!!!!

You have to remember this is a forum where people come with problems so of course you are going to read about a lot of different mechanical problems.I for one don't believe they are engineered or made any better or worse then any other bike or car for that matter.Do yourself a favor visit a Goldwing or F-150 forum sometime,they have their problems too,just as many if not more.

Back