free website stats program Tapping noise and tranny oil leak - found it! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tapping noise and tranny oil leak - found it!

Nope, but when you add up all the other stories you here like that one it makes for one DIRTY kid:).

Just keep things in perspective...most posters who introduced themselves to the forum had a problem or technical question with their bike, so it gives the "seeming" impression that every post indicates HD ownership is very problematic. :(

On the contrary, it is a joy, plain and simple. While anything with technology that dates back 40 or 50 years (as an example...please do not write me up guys), MOCO has had plenty of time to "hone" their craft. If you look at most of the problems posted, a majority are based on the new tech and the stresses of getting more power out of this "mature" design, as a result to meet EPA & government constraints to keep cost in check, preventing it from becoming a piece of unaffordable "unobtainium" for the rich. :newsmile025:

Plastic parts break, bolted together parts can shake apart due to the intentionally "unbalanced lope'ing cadence that is patented". But dare I say it...I like these V-Twins, the minute I stride out to the garage, look her over and hit the start button. Now do as Larry did, be patient and methodical, solve the issues and move on. The roads are clear and the ride is fine! :D

Last edited:
Nope, but when you add up all the other stories you here like that one it makes for one DIRTY kid:).

I have to admit, I am starting to get worried about my 2008 Electra-Glide. It has just over 25,000 kilometers on it and I haven't had a single problem with it yet.

Come to think of it, my previous 3 Harleys before this one never had any problems either....

Anybody wanna buy a 2008 Electra-Glide as I'm sure its gonna grenade any day now.......:lolrolling

Recently my 09 Road King w/ 5K miles developed a tapping noise somewhere around the RH side of the engine. I checked everything and took it to the dealer to change oils and find the noise.

They couldn't find it. Then I noticed a slight oil leak on my bike lift rear pad and a burnt oil smell at idle when hot.

Well, I found it finally! There are two allen head bolts directly under the tranny cover that bolt into the tranny to attach the exhaust bracket. Not the tranny cover bolts, they were all tight. These are right below the cover and behind the exhaust pipes. Both of those bolts were completely loose (about 5 full turns to tighten).

The allen bolt closer to the rear of the engine was easy to get to w/o removing the exhaust. The front one is too close to the exhaust and the bracket interferes so the allen wrench won't fit.

Not wanting to remove the exhaust, I took a hack saw to the allen wrench and took about 5/16" off the short end and it fit. Once tightened, the noise and oil leak are gone.

So much for the experts at the dealer - I'm done with them unless I blow an engine or tranny.

Glad to hear you solved the problem... But I'm curious if the oil leakage was really a result of those 2 loose bolts. From what I see on the parts diagram in the service manual, those bolts are simply to hold the rear exhaust bracket on. They don't appear to serve any function as it relates to keeping fluid in the tranny.

Ok, I figured out exactly what you're talking about. At first, I though you meant the screws that hold on the very rear exhaust hanger on the back of the tranny... I checked that out, and they're very tight. Then I re-read your post and realized you were talking about the hanger/bracket under the tranny cover. Sure enough, both boths were loose, although not 5 turns loose like yours. But hopefully this was the cause of the loud rattle on the right side of my motor, like yours. It should hold, as I put a crud-load of red Locktite on it.

Thanks so much for posting your problem and resolution. Greatly appreciated.

Just keep things in perspective...most posters who introduced themselves to the forum had a problem or technical question with their bike, so it gives the "seeming" impression that every post indicates HD ownership is very problematic. :(

On the contrary, it is a joy, plain and simple. While anything with technology that dates back 40 or 50 years (as an example...please do not write me up guys), MOCO has had plenty of time to "hone" their craft. If you look at most of the problems posted, a majority are based on the new tech and the stresses of getting more power out of this "mature" design, as a result to meet EPA & government constraints to keep cost in check, preventing it from becoming a piece of unaffordable "unobtainium" for the rich. :newsmile025:

Plastic parts break, bolted together parts can shake apart due to the intentionally "unbalanced lope'ing cadence that is patented". But dare I say it...I like these V-Twins, the minute I stride out to the garage, look her over and hit the start button. Now do as Larry did, be patient and methodical, solve the issues and move on. The roads are clear and the ride is fine! :D

Point taken.:s

Like Glider always says, you need to buy the service manual. I don't have a pic because I'm too dumb to figure out how to get the picture memory bits sized small enough to post it.

But if you look on p. 6-6 fig. 6-3 you will see the chrome clutch release cover. The exhaust bracket is below the cover and has 2 screws. If you look at p. 6-19 fig. 6-33 you will see that these 2 screws along with 6 others attach the side door to the transmission housing. They are included in the torque sequence. However, I'm not sure if the case is fully drilled through and tapped but I suspect it is and that is where the tranny oil was coming from. It wasn't a lot of oil because the other 6 screws were tight and holding the side door to the case.

I didn't use any thread sealer (LockTite) because I didn't remove the exhaust. I'm hoping that tightening the 2 screws will do it. But I'll keep an eye on them. If this happens again, I'll probably take it in so I get new exhaust gaskets, etc. without paying for them out of my pocket. However, I'm a little leary about letting them work on it.

I love this site because there is more good info here than just about anywhere. I would guess most of the grousing is just that. Good old grousing!

Editorial...A lot of tatoos does not a mechanic make. Seems like they only hire young guys with shaved heads and a lot of tats (and of course the "tude"). I guess I'm getting to be an old fart. When I hire a mechanic, I'm more concerned that they have many mechanical skills versus many tatoos. I must admit, I have a couple of tats too and when I was a "kid" I had a "tude". Probably still do hahahahahaa I just hate paying top dollar for minimum wage talent. There, this ought to get you guys started!

No problem Larry, if you want to learn how to post pictures, go to the www.photobucket.com
Register and upload whatever photo *.jpg file you want. The site has an editor that will size it to 800x600 "pixel". Save it and when you want to attach it, cut and paste the 4th IMG selection into your Quick Reply post and voila' you have your picture in a post. Enjoy!

BTW went to the Ventura HD Summerfest '09 in Camarillo and had a good time. Easy guys, nobody was doing the wild thing...just enjoying music, softdrinks and looking at a lot of stuff in the display booths. One thing caught my eye...has anyone seen leather made out of a "stingray" hide...?it looks grainy like starfish' skin, but just as incredibly tough, colorful and flexible for use as nonslip leather seat inserts that can be quite colorful. Also saw a number of new 2010's still on the metal skids with plastic wrap fresh from MOCO and on display of course. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Last edited:
Not too surprised ! I had a code come up that would put the bike into limp mode so I took the bike to a HD shop after 6 hours the Tech said that he erased the code and could not get the bike to duplicate the code . The code was rear cylinder misfire , rode the bike home about 6 miles & the code came up again so I thought that I should check the spark plug , what I found was a loose sparkplug wire . Now after 6 hour in the shop & the code showing a rear cylinder misfire you would think that the HD Tech would check the sparkplug wire & sparkplug .

oh i think harley is deliberately one of the most under engineered bikes on planet earth-- hence the rise of screamin eagle.. harley has a 100 yr old history of not --- let me repeat that -- not--- coming up with new ideas... want an example-- guess who created the softail? it wont harley-- they bought the patent right. guess who makes all the screamin eagle cams --andrews -- or at least they used to-- havent bought one lately.. ya think harley R & D hasnt taken apart a BAKER transmisson. Actually for a buisness standpoint it 's good practice-- let the leaders in the private market develope thier particuluar line of product -- give it a few yrs to get all the bugs out-- then copy em.............. again harley has a 100 yr history of this going back to indian to really be more percise..............

I don't know if this is related but since I got my bike back from it's 8,000km service it has been making a fast ticking sound when I'm moving. It doesn't make the sound when I'm stopped but the noise seems to be coming from the top end of the bike. The engine still sounds good but this high end ticking is driving me insane! The guys at the shop think I'm nuts (not sure if being female has anything to do with it) but I know the sounds my vehicles/bikes make and if something is not quite right. Anyone has any info that could help it would be appreciated.

Not too surprised ! I had a code come up that would put the bike into limp mode so I took the bike to a HD shop after 6 hours the Tech said that he erased the code and could not get the bike to duplicate the code . The code was rear cylinder misfire , rode the bike home about 6 miles & the code came up again so I thought that I should check the spark plug , what I found was a loose sparkplug wire . Now after 6 hour in the shop & the code showing a rear cylinder misfire you would think that the HD Tech would check the sparkplug wire & sparkplug .

I sure hope you called and told them what you found! :small3d031:

Like Larry said "paying top dollar for minimum wage talent" Exact reason I stopped going to Mancuso's here in Houston.

Back