free website stats program tank swap for '91 XLH 1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

tank swap for '91 XLH 1200

cfcolby

I just bought my first Harley, a '91 XLH 1200. I want to put a different tank on it that has the speedo mounted in between the split tanks. I see alot of tanks on eBay that I like but they come off different models. Are there any tanks that are a direct swap or easy change?

Thank You,
Craig.

I just bought my first Harley, a '91 XLH 1200. I want to put a different tank on it that has the speedo mounted in between the split tanks. I see alot of tanks on eBay that I like but they come off different models. Are there any tanks that are a direct swap or easy change?

Thank You,
Craig.
There are a few different tanks that will fit your needs but they are one piece tanks and have a cut out area so that a console can be fitted and they can be bought as a single unit complete with everything but they are not cheep
They are available from zodiac and custom chrome they may be available elsewhere but my shopping choice is limited due to location

Brian

I have put 2 large tanks on XL's, but they were both made for XL's. Like Fin said, not cheap. Try searching for "xl or sportster tank mounts" or something like that in ebay. I have seen many mount kits, but haven't paid attention to the specifics. Some one must make a kit to fit split tanks to an XL.

Check Denis Kirk and J P they have Extended Quick Bob Tank Kit | 720-330
to fit but as Breeze and Fin said they aint cheap

That setup is what i was thinking of and it is a lot cheaper your side of the pond
Fitment says will fit 95 and up but i think it will be ok on earlier bikes petcock moves from right side to left so the outlet will point forwards rather than backwards and you will need a longer fuel pipe from petcock to carb the other area of slight concearn is the speedo 95 had electronic and i think the phsical size is about the same (but not absolutley sure) and the speedo cable will have to be re routed but length should be ok
You may have to make some custom wiring to move the warning lights to the tank consol

Brian

Back