free website stats program Tank Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Tank Removal

Hey all, so I'm pretty miffed up about the deal, but the inevitable happened and I hit a slick patch and very gently (well as gently as possible anyway) dropped my bike. Damage was minimal, dented and scratched the tank, bent the bars a little and theres some road rash on the pipes and the airfilter cover. My question pertians to removal of the tank on an '09 Street Bob. 1) How do I remove the gas gauge? Is it a float type gauge? 2) Is the fuel pump in the tank? If so, do I need to depressureize the system before removing the gauge and sender? Thanks in advance guys!

Matt, that's a bummer for sure. To depressurize the fuel system, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over.

The gauge, I'm not positive but if it's mounted on the left of the tank and not in the center, it's like the other dynas and you wiggle it out (NOT TWIST) It's set in a rubber gasket and will come out then you mark and disconnect the wires on the back where they are terminated.

The float is part of the fuel pump rack inside the tank and comes out through the access panel. Replace the gasket and the one time use screws that hold the panel to the tank or they leak.

Is this the same type as an 02 softail? I am gettig ready to take my tins off and it sounds like it is the same type.???

Hey all, so I'm pretty miffed up about the deal, but the inevitable happened and I hit a slick patch and very gently (well as gently as possible anyway) dropped my bike. Damage was minimal, dented and scratched the tank, bent the bars a little and theres some road rash on the pipes and the airfilter cover. My question pertians to removal of the tank on an '09 Street Bob. 1) How do I remove the gas gauge? Is it a float type gauge? 2) Is the fuel pump in the tank? If so, do I need to depressureize the system before removing the gauge and sender? Thanks in advance guys!

Matt, if you want to send me an e-mail to jmpancoast [removed] , I can hook you up with a great how to with step-by-step pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back