Tank Emblem Fell Off (Twice)

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by UGSBUE, Jun 4, 2015.

1. UGSBUE

UGSBUE Member

2014 FLSTC, 13 Months Since Purchased New, ~3.5K Miles

Tank Emblem falls off Parked Bike. Anyone else have this happen? What are the possible remedies or solutions?

Last fall went out to garage and noticed the Tank Emblem on the floor. I was angered as the bike only had one season under it's odometer and a low-mileage one at that ~2.5K miles.

Picked it up off floor, carefully aligned it with with the outline on the tank from which it was adhered and pressed it into place. It stayed and even with some substantial tugging with my fingers - tension - did not peel away.

Fast forward to April 2015, nearly same situation, discovered emblem on garage floor. Reattached and etc.

BUT...i know that this will not last. The adhesive - appears as if it's two-sided tape - will not improve and eventually the emblem not adhere to the tank at all.

Thanks,

2. PA 58

PA 58 Active Member

sounds like a bad batch of tape . get some 3M double sided emblem tape to replace the old and it should solve your problem.

3. atm33

atm33 Active Member

Remove the old adhesive, replace with new, clean the tank surface with rubbing alcohol and replace the emblem. Most auto parts stores carry emblem tape, and even hardware stores carry industrial strength 2 sided tape. Or, better yet, is it still under warranty? Let the dealer put on a new emblem on their dime. Sounds like the adhesive was either bad to begin with, or got dirty before being applied, or they placed it on a dirty tank surface. Like you said, its just going to fall off again, and next time it might be on the highway while you're going 70.

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

The tape you want is the 3M with RED peel off, it's the strong stuff.

5. chief08

chief08 Member

its trying to tell you some thing leave it off both of them

6. UGSBUE

UGSBUE Member

Many Thanks for the feedback/input!

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

2014 model has 2 year warranty, take it back and have them fix it on their dime JMO