free website stats program Tank Bra dulls tank paint? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tank Bra dulls tank paint?

I can never understand why people cover up the paint with a tank bra or a fairing bra,let the paint show.A couple nicks only shows that the bike is ridden and it still looks better than covering it with a bra.JMHO
Steve a fairing bra is a bit much, I wouldn't go for that. I agree about the paint. It is in ands of itself is beautiful but like I initially said, I Just would like to have and keep at least one tank unblemished from all the bikes that I have had. Now, after reading all of these replies, I am beginning to think that I would do a disservice to the tank by dulling the finish. I set out to prevent dings & scratches and I wind up causing dull paint and blemishises! Talk about irony! :(

Fact of life, nothing is free and there are always consequences many times "unseen"...! :p

Never put a bra on my bike(s), but did have them on two different cars. Both did have "dull" areas from vibration/grime getting under the fabric. Even with good wash/wax - the paint was blemished. I just try to cover tank anytime I'm wrenching in the area & keep tight grip on keys...though I dropped them on tank once already (no damage - whew)...

Never put a bra on my bike(s), but did have them on two different cars. Both did have "dull" areas from vibration/grime getting under the fabric. Even with good wash/wax - the paint was blemished. I just try to cover tank anytime I'm wrenching in the area & keep tight grip on keys...though I dropped them on tank once already (no damage - whew)...
Thanks Ice. The more I read the replies to this post the more I think that I should have posted this before I bought the darned bra! :( I think I'm going to tell the dealer that I changed my mind and I don't want it. Hopefully he'll be understanding and give me my $42.00 back.

I have to agree with STEVE07, I put a tank bra on my ultra because I scratched it with the zipper on my leather on the way home from the dealer on my first ride....but it's been on for 2 years now and not only does it dull the clearcoat but it no longer fits very well. The way it is attached, it makes it very inconvenient to remove it when you wash the bike, so it gets wet and stretches. It looks ok, but if I had to do it again, I would go braless.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me decide against the tank bra. I went to the dealer yesterday and even though the bra had come in from special order, I declined to accept it and got the full refund of $42.00.
Later on that evening I uncovered the bike and gave it another coat of wax. Especially on the unfaded, not dulled, gas tank! :D

I think I am leaving my tank bra on forever, because it has rubbed and flattened the paint, with the finest dust as an abrasive, always trapped inside.

I will remove it for cleaning, wash 'n dry, and use Liquid Glass car polish only on the tank, to help make things smooth, shiny and less prone to scratching, as it does on my car, repelling dirt and things that scratch.

How about that clear adhesive material they sell now for a bra on cars. I googled it and it's called Clear Bra. I think 3M makes it.

Maybe this will work for you.

Take care,
Dave

Back