free website stats program Tampa to Las Vegas | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tampa to Las Vegas

I dont know if The Hoover Dam tour is still open, but if it is it is a must see:D

2500 miles in 15 days equates to only 167 miles per day. On trips like this I like to stay off the main interstates and enjoy the local sights and flare. 167 even 200 miles a day would be a piece of cake allowing you to enjoy the ride and make frequent stops.

An option for you might be route 84 west. Or 84 West and 114 West through Texas.

I have a Tom Tom mount for my Heritage and use it on long trips to stay off the interstates.

Let us know about the ride and post pics.

2500 miles in 15 days equates to only 167 miles per day. On trips like this I like to stay off the main interstates and enjoy the local sights and flare. 167 even 200 miles a day would be a piece of cake allowing you to enjoy the ride and make frequent stops.

An option for you might be route 84 west. Or 84 West and 114 West through Texas.

I live 2 miles off of 114 in Texas, so if you go that route, give me a shout. Just be careful of the road construction going on here and don't hit it at rush hour time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come we never got a trip report with pictures??? Is it the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" thing??? Don't worry, your secret is safe with us :s

Put up a quick album with some pics per your request Glazier :bigsmiley11:
Don't wanna spoil some of the surprises for him though if it's his first time out to the south west :s

If you have the time, visit Meteor Crater outside of Winslow AZ. Went there years ago, quite impressive.

You could also sing "well I'm a standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona":lol:lol

I'm planing a one way trip from Tampa to Las Vegas in March. I have 15 days to do it in. Any must sees or tips for this trip. Thanks.

Sounds like you are covered through Texas. Whichever route into New Mexico you take you’ll eventually head towards Albuquerque.

Ruidoso, NM, area is scenic and they host motorcycle rallys a couple times a year. Roswell has the flying saucer and alien museum, and not much else.

Recommend heading north of I-40 on any two laner from US 66 on the east to NM 14, just east of Albuquerque, with 14 recommended. Spend time in Santa Fe then north to Chimayo (visit the chapel and bring home some of the healing soil, and the legend behind it) and Taos. A side ride in the canyon to Mora is recommended by the locals.

Any route into Colorado will work, and if on 285 check the narrow gauge railroad at Antonito. Its a good ride over Cumbres Pass chasing the train to Chama. Once in Colorado you have a lot of options.

Recommend riding through Alamosa, CO, and turning right onto CO 149 to Creede and Slumgullion Pass. A good scenic road, and a good intro to riding in the Rockies. Might need gas in Gunnison.

From there you have a lot of options, depending on your time. I recommend west towards Montrose but if possible take CO 92 north and loop through Hotchkiss to Delta to Montrose. Head south and at Ridgway either head straight south to Ouray, Silverton, and Durango or turn west and loop around through Placerville, Telluride, and Cortez. If your first time in the area, recommend riding south and spending time wandering around Silverton.

Anyway, get on US 160 and head west then south then west from Cortez to the four corners and Kayenta, AZ, then north on US 163 through Monument Valley into Utah. Just north of Mexican Hat, UT, is UT 261; take it if your riding skills on steep gravel roads is good. The word is that paving equipment couldn’t handle the steepness or the curves when the road was carved out of the cliff face, and so they left it as it was. The option is to ride north to Blanding and then northwest on 95. Either route will eventually get you to Hanksville (gas only available) where you will again turn west on 24 through Capitol Reef NP and Torrey, UT.

South on 12 (if open, a high mountain intervenes) through Escalante and Bryce Canyon NP, perhaps Cedar Breaks NP, and Zion NP. If hwy 14 is open to Cedar City (may not be, closed last year due to a major slide and the last I heard they may leave the road closed), and enter Zion from the west. South then to Kanab and either east to Page or south then east through Jacob Lake. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon NP will be closed in March due to snow, but ask anyway. The road may be open but without any services at the canyon. There is a visitor center at Jacob Lake. A family tradition says to get pie and ice cream at the lodge.

Both routes join at Bitter Springs, AZ. South to Cameron and west to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon NP on 64. The Canyon should be open unless a big storm hits, so ask locally. South from the Canyon and hit I-40 at Williams, but take all the segments of old US 66, particularly catch Seligman and Hackberry, and on to Kingman. Stay on 66 west to the semi ghost town of Oatman, where the burros roam the streets, then continue on west through Laughlin, NV, to catch US 95 north to Las Vegas. The Laughlin River Run Rally is April 24-28 this year, if you’re interested.

Have a good and safe ride. Only thoughts are to ride on the top half of the gas tank as not all the named dots on the maps have fuel or food, carry water, dress for the cold if riding in March, and be sure the bike is in top condition. There is some fantastic country here, and a variety of riding conditions. Enjoy.

Back