free website stats program Talimena | Harley Davidson Forums

Talimena

workinman

Last weekend my wife, me and a friend rode from west of Wichita Falls Texas to Hugo Ok. Friday was raining and we got a late start . I used mink oil on the leathers including the Jackets and boots the night before. We used Hwy 82 to 75 N to Durant. Then on to 70 Hugo Ok. Stayed in a motel in Hugo. Next day cleaned up the bikes and had breakfast in a restaurant there, the food was really good and so was the waitress . She and her husband also ride in Ok , Ark and were very helpful in giving good advice on the trip to Talimena . Filled up the bikes there and went to Broken Bow up 259 N . My 07 Road King is not the best on fuel to begin with and ridding two up loaded it is not good I had called early this week to try to get a hotel in Mena but that was not good as there is a rally the third week in October in Ark so a lot of the motels were full. The trip over Talimena was good ride for us. We stopped at about 3 of the look out vista but after a while you run out of day light . It is an experience driving into the sun on the mountains with one hand over your eyes and maneuvering on a bike , ridding two up and loaded . When we got off the mountains it was getting dark and cold . A bass tournament in or around clayton kept us from getting a room there . Driving after the sun goes down this time of the year can get you a deer or a hog up close and personal :( . Finally got a room in Antlers . A hot shower and a six pack helped along with the sonic meal :) . :D wife was not real happy . My friend Terry told me the next day he thought his lips froze together a couple of times . Sunday lot warmer and headed home. Learned a few lessons along the way :) It was a fun trip overall . The ride home did not take as long as no rain and warmer.

Sounds like you had a good trip. Pixs to follow right? Or did you take Jack's camera??

We did the Talimena Scenic Highway last weekend also. Stayed Friday night at a lodge at Robbers Cave where Jesse James used to hideout. Spent Saturday night in Broken Bow. Awesome riding around those parts and lots of bikes. Check out Broken Bow lake next time, or go to Wilburton, Ok and have a look at the cabins and lodge at Robbers Cave State Park. Good idea to make reservations plenty of time in advance as they sell out almost every weekend. We got lucky and someone had just cancelled. And yes, lots of deer and other assorted wildlife on the roads so you have to be very careful. I like venison, but don't want to get some that way :p

I will try post some pics . I met a lot of great folks on the ride. I have a helmet that is odd looking as I wonted something to shed some heat in the summer and be seen at night . It is chrome lol :) . I don't care it works. My friend Terry bike is a fat boy and a Captain America paint scheme. Maybe you saw it or us . We were on Talimena having a cold one and a break when some rides pulled in. A few high Fives and they were off. Never even knew who they were :) Just some great riders . Great advice on getting a room and I will say I will never pull of the road and set my bike on a off camber surface . I did not turn over but I had pure heck getting it up off the stand. Terry and I filled up in Mena I think I had maybe a half gallon or less. Never again I hope :newsmile071: We are going back again for sure. Ridding in the rain was less than fun :( I learned what 20 percent rain means every 20 miles rain or misting lol

I am so glad to read this. We are planning a ride on the Talimena, probably next year, hopefully in a direction and time of day where sun won't be an issue. It is all good info you all shared......

Back