free website stats program Taking the Auto Train to the NE... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking the Auto Train to the NE...

Got our first full day of vacation over. Went to Mount Vernon today and had a blast. Let me back up a little. We loaded up on the AutoTrain Saturday. I wondered how they were gonna load the bikes..well they put them, two at a time, on heavy duty dollies, strap them down securely and then load the dollies up on the train. There were 10 bikes on the train, 7 HDs, 1 BMW, a Yammy and a VTX. I was impressed with the professionalism. The train actually departed 15 mins early and arrived an hour and a half early, which was good.
The trip itself was uneventful if not a litltle tiring. The seats are comfortable for sitting, but not so much for sleeping. Shoulda sprung for a sleeping car. We had one meal (evening) that was actually quite tasty and a continental breakfast this morning. All good. I'll post some pix here soon but right now the wife and Richard are pressing me for some dinner. Stay tuned.

Glad you finally got your vacation underway. Ride safe, Don

Mavagrand: Hope you are not caught up in all of this rain we are having here in Virginia. Stay dry!

Mavagrand: Hope you are not caught up in all of this rain we are having here in Virginia. Stay dry!

Got completely soaked!! Holed up with some friends in Elkton, Md and watched the flood waters rise. Things started clearing up Friday just in time for us to ride the bikes to Lorton Virginia and load them up for the return trip. Just got home. Feel terrible for all those people in the NE that are dealing with the flooding.

Sorry that you had such bad weather. When we rode down Skyline Dr and the Blue Ridge Parkway we had rain the first 2 days and then it cleared up. You will have to make the trip another time. We got the sleepers on our trip and it was well worth it.

PHOTOS: Here are some photos of my recent vacation on the autotrain. This first set are of the depot in Sanford, Florida. And, yes, that is a John Deere tractor pulling a bunch of Harley's. My brother, who rides a goldwing, thought it was funny.

Attachments

• Depot1.jpg
    Depot1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Dolly1.jpg
    Dolly1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Dolly2.jpg
    Dolly2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Dolly4.jpg
    Dolly4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Dollytractor.jpg
    Dollytractor.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
This photo is of my wife and I in the dining car on the autotrain. The food was surprisingly good AND they provide free refills of the wine. While the vacation was, in general, plaqued with bad weather, the autotrain experience was a bright spot of the trip.

Attachments

• MoniTrain.jpg
    MoniTrain.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 19
These are photos of my bike (black betty) and Richard's bike as we were preparing to head home.

Attachments

• BlackBetty.jpg
    BlackBetty.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
  • LilRed.jpg
    LilRed.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
Back