free website stats program Taking the Auto Train to the NE... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking the Auto Train to the NE...

I live near the Lorton station. Never taken the train but I will tell you that unless you LOVE sitting on your bike in hot weather (early Sept will likely be hot) stay away from I95 and route 1 by any means. Of course it's hard to get to DC from Lorton without using one of the mentioned routes, just saying.. Traffic into and out of DC is a mess and a complete conversation topic in it's own... Enjoy the ride to the mountains though. Harpers Ferry is great as is the area surrounding mountains to the west.

I live near the Lorton station. Never taken the train but I will tell you that unless you LOVE sitting on your bike in hot weather (early Sept will likely be hot) stay away from I95 and route 1 by any means. Of course it's hard to get to DC from Lorton without using one of the mentioned routes, just saying.. Traffic into and out of DC is a mess and a complete conversation topic in it's own... Enjoy the ride to the mountains though. Harpers Ferry is great as is the area surrounding mountains to the west.

Thanks for the tip. Current plan is to grab a hotel somewhere around Arlington that has a metro stop. Leave the bikes at the hotel and ride themetro in.

Four days to go. According to Amtrak, the Autotrain is currently not running due to track inspection/maintenance. Not too worried as I figure five days should give them enough time to ensure the trains are safe. Long as she is up and running by September 3rd..all is good.

Four days to go. According to Amtrak, the Autotrain is currently not running due to track inspection/maintenance. Not too worried as I figure five days should give them enough time to ensure the trains are safe. Long as she is up and running by September 3rd..all is good.

WOrse case, just ride the bike.. :bigsmiley24::cheers

Amtrak says the Auto Train is running. woot woot!! I've ridden the I95 corridor up through NC three times. Kinda tired of it. Nothing to see but asphalt.

We will all be following you (in our hearts and minds) and hope you have a great experience.

Alright! One last day of work before vacation. This is going to be a loonng day..hehehe. Gonna stay tonight at a friends house and then, hopefully, make it to Sanford before the rain tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Alright! One last day of work before vacation. This is going to be a loonng day..hehehe. Gonna stay tonight at a friends house and then, hopefully, make it to Sanford before the rain tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Once you get to lorton, and have any problems, feel free to contact me. I live 10 minutes from where you will unload. I'll send you my phone number via private message. Ride safe and enjoy..

We rode the Auto Train to Lorton in May. Rode over to Front Royal and then rode Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the end. Great trip and will do it again. The Auto Train was great.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Back