free website stats program Taking the Auto Train to the NE... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking the Auto Train to the NE...

Rt 7 north out of DC towards Winchester then pick up 340 south through the Shenandoah Valley. Much better ride than going down 66 to 81. Or the ride down the east side of the mountain is great, South on 27? I think toward Charlottesville and catch a cross over road up to skyline drive. Great rides all over the place. I moved to Columbia but still have a home in Waynesboro.

Rt. 7 is lots of traffic till you hit Leesburg VA. I live near Rt. 7 hits 340, Berryville VA (25 minutes from Leesburg). Down 340 South till you hit Front Royal and start Skyline drive. Ends in Waynesboro VA and begins Blue Ridge Pkwy. Great rides around here. 29 South goes toward Charlottesville, but you will be far enough west on 340 you don't need to get on 29 South.
Nice rides out in WV of 68 but not sure how far you want to go out. (WV,MD,VA, and PA all kind of come together in this area).

Mav,

If you get a chance to go out west on I66 to I81 south. Shenandoah Valley is a great ride. Get off on Rt.11 and take the scenic ride south. Lots of Civil War stuff. Manasas battlefield, New Market, etc. Skyline Drive. It is home to me so I am partial. At any rate it is some great riding. If you do decide to go that way PM me and I can direct on a nice little scenic route through Shenandoah County. Ride safe.

Bodeen

Rt. 11 actually runs paralell with I-81 starting in Winchester VA. Down by Harrisonburg VA, nice ride out towards Elkton VA,Rt. 33. Rt. 33 crosses Skyline Drive so might be a back way to see some more road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still planning the trip but here is what I have so far: Harley-Davidson - Ride Planner - Shared Ride Plan

We want a vacation where we spend time visiting and seeing things as opposed to riding. I think this route will give us a good mix. I initially had a route up into Philadelphia, but the more I hear about that city, the less I wanna go. So what do you guys think? any other must see's?

Looks like a great ride plan. Stay hydrated and ride safe. We will be waiting for the report!!

Didn't see any DC time planned. Days of stuff to do there. Pretty cool to ride around monuments all lit up at night.

We've done DC before. Other than a quick trip to Arlington to visit my father, don't plan on stopping there. I agree it's a beautiful place, but I want to see new stuff.

We've done DC before. Other than a quick trip to Arlington to visit my father, don't plan on stopping there. I agree it's a beautiful place, but I want to see new stuff.

Gottcha Mavagrand. I'll think about some more but first thing I thought of is Great Falls National Park. Pretty amazing site to be so close to DC. Has a billy goat trail that is a nice hike or you can just see the falls. Google it and has plenty of info.

We took the auto train fron Lorton to Sanford. They have you ride your biuke up on the platform and stay with it until it is strapped in. They provide all the straps. Remember, if you have security, you will want to turn it off.

When we got to Sanford, they got yhr bikes off quickly. We were out of the parking lot beform most of the other passengers were.

Good luck! Have fun!

Thanx, Bop, this is practical information that I can use. I was worried about some goober riding my bike onto the train and dropping it. Do they photograph the bike before/after? Any insurance considerationis? I plan on photographing my bike before/after just in case.

Two weeks to go. I'm excited. I've alway's enjoyed vacations (of course), the ones on a motorcycle especially so! Tried to explain why to a guy at work..he just didn't get it, kept saying a car would be more comfortable. I tried to explain it ain't all about physical comfort so much as the whole experience. Gave him the old 'wind in my face, sun on my skin" speech but he wasn't buying it. Oh well, as I told him, "different strokes".

Back