free website stats program Taking the Auto Train to the NE... | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking the Auto Train to the NE...

Mavagrand

..for vacation. She runs from Sanford Florida to Lorton, Virginia, just south of DC. Once off the train we're gonna hit Mount Vernon, some sites in DC, the Amish country, Harpers Ferry, Anteitem and any other spots we run into. Anyone have other recommendations? This is actually my first time on a train so I'm looking forward to it. Gonna be heading out September 3 and returning to Florida on September 11.

Taking the bike. The auto train sounds intriguing to me so, if we like it this year may take the car later.

i just took auto train to d.c. then onto NY..bike is strapped down really good, so i suggest leave yours home. real efficient deal, go to ticket counter get your seat # and also pick your dinner time 5,7,9, pm, get room if you have one, back or middle of train is better. train rings whistle at EVERY train crossing,,so if your in front,,:(( get seat in middle of car, otherwise you will hear the doors open and close all night long people going into lounge areas most all night, seats are big and comfy, you get a blanket and pillow. In the a.m. is b'fast. If you are with main squeeze its better then stranger next to you.. when i rode, had a stranger next to me who put his luggage in overhead compartment and dropped it on my head with his food in hand as i was napping,,he left seat for remainder of ride..:) in any case,,in d.c. unload bikes fast and efficient..more then happy with total experience..have fun..and i suggest some munchies and drink with ice in a container for mid night snack...well thats me ,,hahha later ryd..

i just took auto train to d.c. then onto NY..bike is strapped down really good, so i suggest leave yours home. real efficient deal, go to ticket counter get your seat # and also pick your dinner time 5,7,9, pm, get room if you have one, back or middle of train is better. train rings whistle at EVERY train crossing,,so if your in front,,:(( get seat in middle of car, otherwise you will hear the doors open and close all night long people going into lounge areas most all night, seats are big and comfy, you get a blanket and pillow. In the a.m. is b'fast. If you are with main squeeze its better then stranger next to you.. when i rode, had a stranger next to me who put his luggage in overhead compartment and dropped it on my head with his food in hand as i was napping,,he left seat for remainder of ride..:) in any case,,in d.c. unload bikes fast and efficient..more then happy with total experience..have fun..and i suggest some munchies and drink with ice in a container for mid night snack...well thats me ,,hahha later ryd..

So you took your bike on the train? Was it damanged in any way? Do I need to bring straps or do they provide? Do they actually ride my bike onto and off of the train or am I allowed to do that? Appreciate your response. Glad for the tips on seating too.

Thanx, Don..this looks like a great ride. I can/will fit this ride into my schedule. apprecaite the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mav,

If you get a chance to go out west on I66 to I81 south. Shenandoah Valley is a great ride. Get off on Rt.11 and take the scenic ride south. Lots of Civil War stuff. Manasas battlefield, New Market, etc. Skyline Drive. It is home to me so I am partial. At any rate it is some great riding. If you do decide to go that way PM me and I can direct on a nice little scenic route through Shenandoah County. Ride safe.

Bodeen

That is a very interesting area. I saw that Bull Run (Manasas battlefield) but I was only 11 yrs old at the time. Still remember much of it though.

Rt 7 north out of DC towards Winchester then pick up 340 south through the Shenandoah Valley. Much better ride than going down 66 to 81. Or the ride down the east side of the mountain is great, South on 27? I think toward Charlottesville and catch a cross over road up to skyline drive. Great rides all over the place. I moved to Columbia but still have a home in Waynesboro.

Mav,

If you get a chance to go out west on I66 to I81 south. Shenandoah Valley is a great ride. Get off on Rt.11 and take the scenic ride south. Lots of Civil War stuff. Manasas battlefield, New Market, etc. Skyline Drive. It is home to me so I am partial. At any rate it is some great riding. If you do decide to go that way PM me and I can direct on a nice little scenic route through Shenandoah County. Ride safe.

Bodeen

Thanx, Bo, I'll try and get this done. I'll let you know.

Back