free website stats program Taking Battery out for Winters Cold | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking Battery out for Winters Cold

risuperglide

Back in mid August I purchased a new 2010 FXDC! Well after 1200 miles the riding season in RI. is comming to a quick end with the cold weather. Due to the problems I encountered today..due to lack on clearance on the Dyna to hook up the HD Super Smart Battery tender. I am just gonna remove the battery & bring it into the warm house & leave on the tender inside for the winter. Question: Will my electronic digital LCD odometer's memory get earased or messed up if it has no juice for approx. 4 months without the battrey installed in the bike?
thanks!......:34:

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The speedo will retain it's readings. Don't you have a pigtail to connect to the battery while it is installed?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The speedo will retain it's readings. Don't you have a pigtail to connect to the battery while it is installed?

I tried to connect the pigtail today, however on the Dyna's it a pain in the (EDIT) cause of clearance issues with the wires. No clearance issues if I just remove the battery & bring it into the house for the winter.....:(

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be tight, but if you can get the battery posts off - why not install the pigtail & leave it in the bike?

Might be tight, but if you can get the battery posts off - why not install the pigtail & leave it in the bike?

A bit of filing or grinding is needed on the dynas to put the pigtails on, well worth it IMO, tho mine was done PDI and I would do it myself if I had to JMO, Capital Jack

Where there's a will there's a way. It just has to be done so that the wires don't get cut.

Where there's a will there's a way. It just has to be done so that the wires don't get cut.

And The Boss is always right, cus hes been there done that and still here to help us thru our problems, aint it great, signed....Capital Jack:D

As I mentioned previously, On my RK I removed the chrome cover on the fender strut and ran the charger wire to the rear of the bike and cable tied it securely to the frame under the strut with the end just exposed at the rear of the bike so If I forgot to unplug it as I rolled it out of the garage, it would unplug itself without damage.:D

But of course I never forgot to unplug it......

More than once:lolrolling

I removed my battery and ran the pigtail through the hole in the battery case where the factory wire goes. Reinstalled battery and all is well.

A battery will go dead faster in the warm than the cold, believe it or not. Don't know about a tender but a charger on a battery will give off fumes in the house. You might wake up one night with your eyes burning and have to get fresh air to clear them. Don't ask how I know. I think you'll have less trouble with your battery if you leave it outside on a tender.

Back