free website stats program Taking Baffles out of Rineharts | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking Baffles out of Rineharts

1GTRRPA

I have a 06 Road King classic, running rinehart headpipes down to 1 3/4 opening slip-on exhaust pipes.I'm thinking about pulling or knocking the baffles out knowing I will lose around 4-5 HP.Has anyone done this before and how big of a chore is it to get the baffles out? Thanks for the Help..

The baffles on most pipes will come out with the removal of a few bolts on the underside of the rear of the muffler but I wouldn't fool with them myself, they sound poor when you do and the bike will run badly too.

A buddy of mine is running Vance and Hines and removed his baffles. His had screws like you say. He has no problem with his scooter just alot louder when he needs it. Thats why I'm curious what the Rineharts will do but there is no screws holding them in anywhere that I can see. I read an article somewhere saying that this guy faced his baffles were tacked in? They weren't Rinehart's tho. Just wonderin. The Info so far that I have gotten to remove these baffles is to remove the pipes and soak them with WD-40 and use a broomstick and they are suppose to come out easy ? Any help would be appreciated !

Look around the tips on the muffler for the bolts there. There WILL be a decrease in performance, whether you or your buddy can notice it or not is another story but it will be there mostly on the bottom end.
When you find the bolts if the tips don't come right off you can try tapping them with a rubber mallet from the sides or warm the bike a bit and let it cool to the touch then try again.
I've seen guys remove the bolts and start the bike up then, usually the baffles will come out easier then, sometimes on their own :D

Agree w/glider on this one - losing the backpressure will decrease your overall performance. Dyno the bike before & after - you'll see the drop. Also, the ending result isn't pleasing (loud & tinny megaphone).

As far as removing the Rinehart baffles - take the cap off, soak w/p-oil, get wooden dowell & wiggle. They're machine pressed into place & just need a little movement to break the joint. Recommend replacing w/Big City Thunder baffles & you'll be pleased - here's their site: Big City Thunder - Are You Baffled?

Back