free website stats program Taking advantage of strong Canadian dollar to buy parts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Taking advantage of strong Canadian dollar to buy parts

If you pick up a US Harley parts and assessors catalogue it will have the prices for everything, not like our Canadian catalogue. This over pricing is not only from Deeley, every manufacturer seems to be able to give us a little bite. 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Honda eu2000i generator for $970 US delivered to a Michigan address. The list price on it here in Canada was $1600 plus a pdi charge of $60 plus tax. Even our government is getting in a this with the new HST (harmonized sales tax) I will do my best to avoid inflated pricing from Harley and the HST. To our American friends this HST will put an extra 8% tax on everthing that you spend a dollar on. Gasoline is going to have an extra 8% tacked on, a haircut, a meal, everthing that didn't have a tax on it will now have 8% added, so that our politicians will have a nice pension. It dosen't bother me one bit to go to the US to spend.
kemo

If you pick up a US Harley parts and assessors catalogue it will have the prices for everything, not like our Canadian catalogue. This over pricing is not only from Deeley, every manufacturer seems to be able to give us a little bite. 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Honda eu2000i generator for $970 US delivered to a Michigan address. The list price on it here in Canada was $1600 plus a pdi charge of $60 plus tax. Even our government is getting in a this with the new HST (harmonized sales tax) I will do my best to avoid inflated pricing from Harley and the HST. To our American friends this HST will put an extra 8% tax on everthing that you spend a dollar on. Gasoline is going to have an extra 8% tacked on, a haircut, a meal, everthing that didn't have a tax on it will now have 8% added, so that our politicians will have a nice pension. It dosen't bother me one bit to go to the US to spend.
kemo

+1 Kemo. We thought we we're taxed before, this is ridiculous!

I periodically browse American Harley Davidson (americanharley-davidson.com) in Tonawanda NY to check specials. Bought my comp sprocket there on their Oct 31 Harleyween event for $224US+ tax. Special trip over to order, then 3 weeks later to pick up. Exchange rate then added 3 or 4%. Including gas figured still saved about $100 on a $376CDN item, including taxes, and there is a Harley dealer within 1 mile. All was declared at the border, and was just waved through even though this was just an afternoon trip. I’m just an hour from Tonawanda. Dealer here would not budge off list price, so made a nice little pleasure excursion. Will do again. Perhaps next time I may be able to phone in the order now that I’m in their system.

Yes, it is down right ridiculous, I went int steve drane HD Victoria BC and wanted to order a quick release sissy bar for my street bob, $520 - I don't even know how they do it with a straight face.... welcome to HD Canada bend over please!

Guess where I buy my bikes. I have brought back 3 bikes from the US, and may be buying another in the next week or so.
kemo

I understand you can only buy used bikes? Did you have to do anything special to get them across the boarder or for licensing? Thinking of picking up a bike for my wife.

I understand you can only buy used bikes? Did you have to do anything special to get them across the boarder or for licensing? Thinking of picking up a bike for my wife.

Most dealers will have all the paper work for you and send the ones needed to Canada Customs for you so you just drive across.

likewise, 195.00 + gst is the only extra cost. that pales in comparison to the thousands saved. tried my local dealear and he couldn't even come close. More and more are heading south to purchase, Deely got to start feeling it soon.

kemo

Ken, They wont be happy till they have ever thing we own, Jack

HST - we all know we have trouble when institutions fabricate acronyms to suit their needs. HMO was originally Health Maintenance Organization...when it changed to Health Management Organization you knew we were being had. Scary huh...!

As for tax on a tax...we have all been there, sad governments play games as if their pockets are unlimited, being funded by the working class people their sup posted to serve. But hey, you do have some good deals in Canada as well, just have to look harder and "work it a bit".

Back