Take-Over Talk !!

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by HarryB737, Mar 16, 2010.

1. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

Harley shares roar on takeover talk
    In the latest round of takeover speculation, traders talk up a buyout by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts. But it could just be talk.
    Posted by Charley Blaine on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:42 PM
    Updated: 1:45 p.m. ET

Harley-Davidson (HOG) shares shot higher today as traders speculated the motorcycle maker was the potential target of a leveraged buyout.

Just saw this on the news link on computer...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Steve Di.

Steve Di. Active Member

Just curious, is Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and American company?

Never mind. I googled them and learned they are a New York-based private equity firm.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  3. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

According to the news article they are, of course I remember one time a bowling pin Co owned them for a while & we know that didn't work out too well... :newsmile055:

4. Big Rol

Big Rol Active Member

Sounds like one of those rumors used to drive up share costs short term, although KKR didn't quash it right away

5. murf

murf Active Member

Don't know what to think about that. Kinda scares me, thinking back on AMF, that almost killed Harley. I could think of a few improvements Harley could make but they come from a biker not from some company looking for a tax shelter or something.

6. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I agree with Smitty. The company I used to work for, Owen-Illinois Glass, was bought by them, and it was less than two years and they shut the doors on our plant.

7. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

I think Smitty hit the nail on the head.. I hope this will just be a rumor, this kind of thing seldom ends well..

8. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

9. xlcruser

xlcruser Active Member

I wonder if they do as smitty says, what will be left. Will they cut the line up, quantity or piece it out to foreign manufactures till it dies.

10. 67hat34c

67hat34c Active Member

Speculation that most manufacturing will leave the US. So we will be looking at Mexican and or Chinese Harleys. Also suspect there will be further cuts in lines.

Private equity company may not cut up the company an sell, they may stream line it by outsourcing and further cuts then re sell the company. Either way it will be a much different company.