free website stats program Tailgaters | Harley Davidson Forums

Tailgaters

Irish Hog

I will tell you, nothing burns me up more than people tailgating. I don't know why, but when I look in the rear view and someone is a foot off my tail I just go nuts, I mean completely nut!!!. I usually jam on the brakes or give expressions through hand signals, but it is a little different when you are riding your bike, because you just cannot jam on the brakes.

Now today was a beautiful day, nice temps in the mid 60's so I took a 2hr ride and I cannot tell you how many times I looked in the mirrors and saw nothing and two minutes later someone right up my butt, even on my little back roads, it is just so dangerous to bikers and it seems like it is getting worse all the time. I just don't understand why people do this, everyone is in a hurry to get two more feet. I myself always give a cusion when driving, mostly because it is out of respect and it is the rules of driving and you are not getting anywhere riding someones tail. Now sometimes on the bike I just pull off to the side and let people pass to save myself from flipping out, but sometimes that is dangerous considering that the shoulder of the road is usually full of dirt and rocks and uneven and more than that, I hate having to move and give way when I am usually doing 55 or 60 mph.

So with this vented, does this drive anyone else completely nuts, or is it just me and what do you do to handle tailgaters when riding??.

Haven't had occasion to try it since buying my first bike in 34 years but it works most of the time in the car: I turn on the 4 way (emerg.) flashers when being tailgated. I have come to the conclusion that most folks don't even realize when they're tailgating & when the flashers come on they back off... usually.

I change lanes or try my flashers or slow down enough to get them to pass. There are too many crazies out there these days to try to antagonize any of them. Besides, the happiest time of my day is when I am on my bike. I ain't going to let some idiot screw it up for me.

I change lanes or try my flashers or slow down enough to get them to pass. There are too many crazies out there these days to try to antagonize any of them. Besides, the happiest time of my day is when I am on my bike. I ain't going to let some idiot screw it up for me.
It is almost getting to the point that it is not happiest point of the day when riding around here. There is a short window around here to enjoy the nice riding weather on a bike. We live on a coastal shore beach resort and anyone that lives or vacations in a area like this knows that the spring and summers are full of cars and impatient city people in a big hurry to get to the beach and belive me, they are in a hurry. There is always long lines of traffic and people pulling out in front of you. There are not many long back roads to jump on, so needless to say, I really don't ride too often in the summer months. It just bugs me in February that you have people trying to run you over because you are not doing 70.

I will tell you, nothing burns me up more than people tailgating. I don't know why, but when I look in the rear view and someone is a foot off my tail I just go nuts, I mean completely nut!!!. I usually jam on the brakes or give expressions through hand signals, but it is a little different when you are riding your bike, because you just cannot jam on the brakes.

Now today was a beautiful day, nice temps in the mid 60's so I took a 2hr ride and I cannot tell you how many times I looked in the mirrors and saw nothing and two minutes later someone right up my butt, even on my little back roads, it is just so dangerous to bikers and it seems like it is getting worse all the time. I just don't understand why people do this, everyone is in a hurry to get two more feet. I myself always give a cusion when driving, mostly because it is out of respect and it is the rules of driving and you are not getting anywhere riding someones tail. Now sometimes on the bike I just pull off to the side and let people pass to save myself from flipping out, but sometimes that is dangerous considering that the shoulder of the road is usually full of dirt and rocks and uneven and more than that, I hate having to move and give way when I am usually doing 55 or 60 mph.

So with this vented, does this drive anyone else completely nuts, or is it just me and what do you do to handle tailgaters when riding??.

I'm the same way and am glad I don't carry my pistol when on my bike.:newsmile055:

Well in the old days I use to carry ball bearings and drop 'em. They would just bounce and make a racket under the under carriage of the car/truck. These days I'm a bit smarter.... I think! I usually will slow down and let 'em pass me. If that fails then I make a point to let 'em know that they are way too close and try to make them pass me! My final answer is, yes, I still carry those little critters in my pocket.:D
Ugly John

It used to drive me crazy,but now after a few years of driving truck I have kind of gotten used to it.at first that car that would pop out from behind my load after being tucked in so tight that I couldn't see him would startle me.It just doesn.'t anymore. A lot of that has transferred to my driving a car or a bike,if someone gets too close I just keep an eye on them and if someone cuts in front of me I just back off to give myself back that safety cushion.My days of going ballistic at the stupidity of others are over (most of the time) My wife made me add that:D

hahaha teach you to let the wife watch as you type :bigsmiley8:

i can sy this without hassle as mine is asleep at home and im in the office :newsmile048:

I sit beside her in the office too!:s

I am with Irish Hog on this one.
I go absolutley balistic when it happens and I dont care how the driver or vehicle is.

Metal ball bearings really gets their attention

To keep my blood pressure down, I too just pull over when safe and let them pass, then we usually meet beside each other at the next stop light........Watch out for the cage drivers tailgating while yapping on their cell phones!!

Back