free website stats program Tailgaters, what to do? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tailgaters, what to do?

Here's another question related to the topic of safety and respecting others on two wheels on the road?

How many on this board respect bicycle riders?

I spend as much time as I can on two wheels and that also means my road bicycle. I have have been hit by mirrors, had drinks and trash thrown at me as well as tailgating. Someone went past me, (sreaming somthing, don't know what) and then came up on my wife. The leaned out the window and slapped her on her butt. This scared her and caused her to swerve and crash. Lots of bruises and lost skin. I (we) do not ride in the middle of the road. I am on the shoulder, when there is one and in the right 1/3 of the lane when there is no shoulder at all. In any form of travel, I have never experience the amount of agression toward bicyclists.

After a guy in a pickup almost took me out with a side mirror (clearly on purpose and intended) I got really angry and sprinted ahead and caught him at a red light. I pulled up next to him and he screamed, "You blankety, blank blanks should get off the road. You have no right to ride." I replied, "That's not what the law of Maryland says, but either way, is KILLING me going to prove your point of view?" He spit on me. Nice.

I think everyone should have to ride on two wheels for a year before driving a car. Maybe then more people would understand.

Here's another question related to the topic of safety and respecting others on two wheels on the road?

How many on this board respect bicycle riders?

I spend as much time as I can on two wheels and that also means my road bicycle. I have have been hit by mirrors, had drinks and trash thrown at me as well as tailgating. Someone went past me, (sreaming somthing, don't know what) and then came up on my wife. The leaned out the window and slapped her on her butt. This scared her and caused her to swerve and crash. Lots of bruises and lost skin. I (we) do not ride in the middle of the road. I am on the shoulder, when there is one and in the right 1/3 of the lane when there is no shoulder at all. In any form of travel, I have never experience the amount of agression toward bicyclists.

After a guy in a pickup almost took me out with a side mirror (clearly on purpose and intended) I got really angry and sprinted ahead and caught him at a red light. I pulled up next to him and he screamed, "You blankety, blank blanks should get off the road. You have no right to ride." I replied, "That's not what the law of Maryland says, but either way, is KILLING me going to prove your point of view?" He spit on me. Nice.

I think everyone should have to ride on two wheels for a year before driving a car. Maybe then more people would understand.
Porter, those are exactly all the reasons I loved my mountain bikes. I quit riding road bikes after I had heard that a 3rd person I knew had gotten hit by a car, I decided I would stick with the trees & the rocks. :s At least they weren't injuring me intentionally. I do love the road rides though, each bike had its own specialties, but I didn't like getting things thrown at me or spit on, so the cars can have the roads. I do however respect & wave at cyclists when I pass in the car or on the Harley.
Stay safe out there.

I ignore them until I just pull over and let them go. I also have a ccw but I'm not going to jail for someone elses ignorance.Besides I'm too pretty to be in jail.:newsmile047: I'm also too old and retired and worked too hard so I'm not spending my retirement at the graybar hotel.

When I used to drive truck, I was a little to close to the car in front of me one night. After a few minutes he popped the left turn directional on, anticipating a turn I slowed and of course opened the gap between us, he then turned off the directional. After about the 3rd time (I was young and dense then), I got the message and stopped crowding him. I've since used this trick with pretty good success.

However, when the individual is to dense to figure it out I just go the speed limit and eventually do the arm signal to go around me.

When I read this, I thought that might work in a car / truck, but kind
of suicidal on a bike in Italy, as most drivers here, as soon as they
see a left turn signal, speed up and try to pass you on the right.

The only way to counter it is to make a left turn from the
center or right hand part of the lane, intentionally blocking the cars
behind you.

Regarding tailgaters, if there is other traffic around you, it's easy to find
a 'gapper' and get ahead of him.. otherwise forget it and let them by.

I've considered marbles, and every once in a while, legal or not.....

a flamethrower.

One of 2 fingers the Bird or pointer finger like a GUN or if near stop sign I stop get off the bike and ask them what their problem is or if their in a hurry as I take my time getting going again.

If possible, just get out of the way. Your ego will not serve you well while recuperating in a hospital bed. If you think a motorcycle is going to come out on top with a car, you're nuts. Any attempt at retribution with the bike just lines you up for criticism and makes you liable for any incidents.

Jamming on the brakes??? that will show them when they plow into the back of the bike. Let them by. The vast majority of tailgaters just don't have a clue what they are doing while driving. Few actually will tailgate in an attempt to injure the rider.

I keep a closer eye on them and stick to the speed limit,or less,depending if its a taxi or a regular idiot.

You could always do as a riding buddy did this Sunday :D was fuuny for us but not him or the muppet following, his top box decided enough was enough and took it's own life, it leapt from back of his Triumph infront of the muppet smashing all over the road jetsoning it's cargo of fags, phone, satnav all over the road, we will be holding a 2 minute silence for the courageous top box
WAP.gif

Did he have it rigged to jettison, or was it just the motorcycle gods way of saying backoff??:rofl

Back