free website stats program "Tail of the Dragon" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Tail of the Dragon"

Watch your speed unless you like meeting State Troupers up close and personal.. when I was there in July they were checking for DOT approved helmets on each end.
Try to get to the Joyce Killmer memorial forest near Robbinsville, 4,000 acres of un-cut eastern virgin timber, the largest stand left... an awesome sight...well worth the 15 minute hike in to it.

Just 45 mls away is Pigeon forge, TN. Lots of great places to eat and good beds. As everyone has stated, watch out for the leos. Add deer, turkey, the occasional bear. Asked my wife saturday where she wanted to eat for her B-day. Huck Finns catfish restaurant she said. Left Sunday morning, up the Dragon on the way up. Across the foothills parkway to Townsend, then Pigeon forge. Headed home Monday morning, Reversed the route. Pulled over at Parsons branch road. A woman riding a victory pulled over saying a bear had crossed the road just back 1/2 ml. Have a blast, dont flip when a grinder blows by at 75, ride your own ride

Just got back from our trip to the "Tail of the Dragon". Had the ribs at Rum Boogie in Memphis(very good), had the ribs at BB King in Nashville(OK), had the burger at Deals Gap(very good), the ride on the tail was awesome. did it 3 times. Rode it like everyone suggested, my own speed, did get passed by some speed demons.
Thanks for all the tips.:bigsmiley24:

Four of us headed there tomorrow from Central Texas. Gonna trailer the bikes (go ahead and boo), but we only have limited time. Will arrive Friday at Iron Horse Lodge in Robbinsville. So, if anyone else gonna be there stop by the bbq at night for a free cold one.

Couple of us rode the Dragon last year, so we know the #1 Rule - Don't speed and stay to inside of lane in blind corners as too many cagers and trucks will be in your lane coming the other way.

See you there!

Attachments

• FLHTK.jpg
    FLHTK.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 23
  • FLHTK III.jpg
    FLHTK III.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
Make sure you take note of the names of the photographers along the route or you can google "Photographers on Dragon Tail". Remember what time you rode and go to one of the web sites and you can see a neat picture of you and your ride. I agree that the ride is more pleasant during the week but there are many more photo ops on the weekend. Have fun.

Awesome time..Tail of Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, Smokey Mountain State Park, Part of Moonshiner 28, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge...oh, did I say it rained Sat and Sunday afternoon alot!

Attachments

• prfile.jpg
    prfile.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
  • profile2.jpg
    profile2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Ironhorse.jpg
    Ironhorse.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DealsGap.jpg
    DealsGap.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32
And don't forget to stop at " Wheels thru Time" motorcycle museum. This is one of the best motorcyle museums ever. It has some of the most interesting collections of odd engine memoribilia gathered in one place.

Back