free website stats program Tail of the Dragon Overrated? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail of the Dragon Overrated?

OK but the thing you have to remember is that this is still a PUBLIC highway, not a closed road course. If they were pretty much doing the speed limit then you have no right to "demand" that they pull over and let you by. Some of us are pretty new to riding still and don't have the confidence or desire to grind the pegs on every single turn. We still have the right to cruise and enjoy this stretch of road. There's nothing preventing YOU from using the pullouts and letting the slower riders get a couple miles ahead.

OK but the thing you have to remember is that this is still a PUBLIC highway, not a closed road course. If they were pretty much doing the speed limit then you have no right to "demand" that they pull over and let you by. Some of us are pretty new to riding still and don't have the confidence or desire to grind the pegs on every single turn. We still have the right to cruise and enjoy this stretch of road. There's nothing preventing YOU from using the pullouts and letting the slower riders get a couple miles ahead.

Agree 100% but feel it is common curtesy to pull over, or atleast ride in the right side of the lane and wave folks past when its safe. nothing worse than seeing no one in front of you and 50 bikes piled behind you. And even if its a public road, slower traffic can be and is a road hazzard for faster riders. especially with all the blind curves.....and speed limit is 30 if i remember correctly, and cautionary speeds around corners.....you will find most the bigger bikes dont even go that fast.

also if you are new to riding, the Dragon would not be on my list yet. way to dangerous, and demanding even for veteran riders. Also you may not have the confidence to grind things, but on the dragon, you will grind somthing.....its just the nature of the beast.

Also as of late the Police have been heavily patrolling the road so it has had an effect on speed.

How long does it take to ride? Tracy

11 miles 318 curves.....the sport bikes do it in about 8-10 minutes or less, and thats from the store to the lookout, on my old bike about 12-15 minutes......a Bagger, perhaps 20-30 minutes or more.....again, it depends on riding ability, bike and police......

I have ridden the Dragon once and loved it. Is it the Holy Grail? NO! Are there other roads that you can find? In that neck of the woods absolutely. However, if you have never ridden it, you need to ride it at least once. Go during the week. Have fun, then find somewhere else to ride. Just my opinion.

Agree 100% but feel it is common curtesy to pull over, or atleast ride in the right side of the lane and wave folks past when its safe. nothing worse than seeing no one in front of you and 50 bikes piled behind you. And even if its a public road, slower traffic can be and is a road hazzard for faster riders. especially with all the blind curves.....and speed limit is 30 if i remember correctly, and cautionary speeds around corners.....you will find most the bigger bikes dont even go that fast.

also if you are new to riding, the Dragon would not be on my list yet. way to dangerous, and demanding even for veteran riders. Also you may not have the confidence to grind things, but on the dragon, you will grind somthing.....its just the nature of the beast.

Also as of late the Police have been heavily patrolling the road so it has had an effect on speed.

Yes it would be a courtesy to let faster riders past but I don't think they have the right to get angry if it doesn't happen, as long as the slower folks aren't poking along at half the speed limit. For a newer rider focusing his attention on the curves, it can actually be quite unsettling to have to divide your attention towards who's behind you, where can I move to the right, how many bikes should I let past, etc.

I disagree that this road is way too dangerous for new riders IF they keep a few things in mind:
1)Ride within your limits - don't feel obliged to keep up with anyone else
2)Stay in your lane at all times - you never know what's coming around the next turn
3)No sightseeing - focus on the road

I did this road in June with only around 1000 miles on my new Street Glide and loved it, but I followed my rules above and also did it on a Wednesday afternoon. Yes, I waved 2 groups of faster rocket riders past and they waved their thanks back at me. Oh, only scraped the boards once so that should tell you how relaxed and unaggressively I was riding.

Just got back from slaying a dragon! Was fantastic, but the ride on the Cherohala Skyway was even better in my book. Also do it during the week, I went on a Thursday and saw no cops and very few other bikes, no trucks either. There is a great place to stay in Tellico Plains, it's called The Lodge At Tellico, great place and cheap during the week, they also have a garage just for bikes. Go slay the dragon!!!

Just got back from slaying a dragon! Was fantastic, but the ride on the Cherohala Skyway was even better in my book. Also do it during the week, I went on a Thursday and saw no cops and very few other bikes, no trucks either. There is a great place to stay in Tellico Plains, it's called The Lodge At Tellico, great place and cheap during the week, they also have a garage just for bikes. Go slay the dragon!!!

I agree that the Cherohala is much more relaxing and scenic but the Dragon is an adrenaline rush! Thanks for the lodging tip - Maysflyboy and I are planning a ride next week and it might turn into an overnight - Tellico Plains is a great location near lots of good roads.

Doc. Did you guys end up doing the Dragon? How was your trip?

No, ended up doing a day ride but we covered most of north Georgia and had a blast. Mountain twisties, scenic sweepers, lunch in Helen, perfect weather!

100_0504.jpg

Back