free website stats program Tail/Brake Light Failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail/Brake Light Failure

I solved half the problem!!! Thanks to all of you! :small3d028: Turns out the rear brake switch, which I recently replaced, twisted loose. My bad for not tightening it sufficiently. I still need to replace the front brake switch.

I'm a little confused after reading the manual. :newsmile108: Do I have to disengage the throttle cables from the twist grip to access the front brake switch?

If the rear brake light switch was loose you may have gotten air into the brake system, I would bleed the brakes before taking it out for a ride.

This has been an interesting challenge. While I thought the problem was solved, I found the problem returned yesterday. My brake light works -- after a two to five second delay!!!! I double checked the rear switch. It is tight. I sprayed some WD40 in the front switch which seems to have solved my dilemna on that one. We shall see this morning. I also rebled my brakes thinking I may have an air bubble in the line causing the delay.

Could it also be the contacts for the rear switch? I replaced the switch, but did not attach new female terminals to the wires from the bike.

This has been an interesting challenge. While I thought the problem was solved, I found the problem returned yesterday. My brake light works -- after a two to five second delay!!!! I double checked the rear switch. It is tight. I sprayed some WD40 in the front switch which seems to have solved my dilemna on that one. We shall see this morning. I also rebled my brakes thinking I may have an air bubble in the line causing the delay.

Could it also be the contacts for the rear switch? I replaced the switch, but did not attach new female terminals to the wires from the bike.

Try WD on the contacts and female connectors, couldn't hurt, maybe some emory cloth to the contacts. Let us know!

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I finally have both brake switches working. After all the work, some good old WD40 on the terminals and in the front brake lever did the trick! :D

Back