free website stats program Tail and brake light on at same time | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail and brake light on at same time

bubbu

I have a 87 11oo Sportster and the tail light and brake light are lit up the same time. I apply the rear brake and nothing, they just both stay on. Also right directional lights up but wont blink. Same with left. Ground problem? Thanks

Brake light switch could cause the rear light problem, the turn signals could be a flasher issue or a turn signal module, are they self cancelling type?

HD86XLH043.gif
Here is a turn signal set up like yours # 17 is a bracket for your flasher # 38 is the flasher

I could be wrong here but in 87 you had to keep the turn signal button pressed in to get it to flash
I also think that the rear lights perhaps were grounded direct to the rear fender
I would check the condition of the wires on the under side of the rear fender as they are exposed and could be damaged either from something hitting them or from overheating and melting together

Brian

Yes these directionals are self canceling, I hold it in and they come on, both sides the same. It just comes on and stays on until I release. Taillight and brake light are on when power is turned on. Operating brake pedals does nothing.

Back