free website stats program tach | Harley Davidson Forums

tach

harleyed

I have a 2008 XLC.i am wanting to add a tach.has anyone bought the HD combination tach 34726-08 ? I would like to know how easy it is to install and how good the tach works.Is it worth the money? or is there something out there better and cheaper.

Thanks

The new combination speedo/tach is BRAND NEW this year in the big wishbook, which I picked up last weekend at my HD dealer. The combo units have been available for the bigger bikes, but for the Sportster it is new for 2009. The unit only works on 2007 and later bikes (obviously those with fuel injection). The 2007 bikes require a special resistor interface to work. 2008/2009 is plug and play from what I have read and talked to the service techs.

I doubt anyone has experience with this unit yet, as it just too new. However, HD is VERY competent with their equipment, and it pretty much always works, and works very well. I wish they could make it work with my 2006 model-I'd have one very quickly!

My only choice is to add the separate unit, which is fairly easy to do (about a 3 hour job from what I have read). Maybe someday, but for now-my ears, hands and feet are still serving me well, just as they did for years of MX racing.

Thanks for the reply. Have you seen the little digital micro tach? Looks pretty neat! I think i would rather have analog gauge.Will probaly break the bank and get the Harley combo.

about 2 months ago I installed a tach combo on my '06 XL 883...
67182-04 TACHOMETER KIT XL 1 $228.76

It was very easy to install... plug and play for the most part. It took me about 30 minutes for the full installation.

I constantly hear how you don't need the tach... basically everytime someone asks about them on forums or otherwise.

Check it out... we get it. I think everyone knows that a tach isn't required. I rode mucho MX and have about 2 years on the street without one... sometimes people get them simply because they look super cool... and they can be informative.

I like gauges and stuff... thats why I got it... not cause I needed it. I dont need any of the Harley Tax items I purchased\ installed... I just wanted them... sometimes thats enough.

I put the kit on my 07 883. A perfect fit plus it works fine. You are going to pay almost as much for an aftermarket kit and there is some doubt on the ease of installation.

Back