free website stats program T-Bone Collision, Insurance Repair or Total? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

T-Bone Collision, Insurance Repair or Total?

I'd run it over to the dealer for another estimate.... If they total it, I would buy it back. If the frame is bent, see what it would cost for a new frame vs. having it put on a frame table.

If the guy working the frame table is any good, the frame will be straight.

I was t-boned on my sporty. Frame wasn't bent but the bike was never the same. Traded it in on a new bagger, owed more to the bank but was well worth it, and would do the same again.

Thanks, I plan on taking my precious for a 2nd opinion also.
I've attached a photo of the so-called "bent" area where the top of the engine guard screws to frame, it actually looks pulled not bent,
it's the small middle part of a capitol "A", not the actual "A" frame, this is where the engine guard pulled the little triangle outwards a little,
but the frame itself isn't bent. This was the area the Indy repair guy said was "Bent", maybe that little piece is the same as a welded joint.
I'm only pushing this because I don't think it's bent and because I found this beautiful FLHR with only 15K miles
and tons of appropiate upgrades for only 10K, and I couldn't be that lucky to find another with the 10K the ins co should give me.
Even if they gave me 20K, I kinda like buying a Road King that is just as good as the new ones, for half as much.

Sorry about the drama guys, I will document this journey if it will help anyone in the future.

Attachments

• engineguard.jpg
    engineguard.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have a question, have you heard of this:
the insurance adjuster made me a written offer if I kept or if I surrender totaled bike. The offer is real good and I can buy my totaled bike for $2700 and still have 10K.
When I said I would keep the bike, he said it couldn't be registered because it was totaled and frame was bent. He would destroy the vin and I could only use as parts. I balked and he then said if I paid to have any mc shop or frame shop measure frame and state in writing that it is not bent, or they fixed it, he would let me have it salvage title, he would then not destroy the vin. I asked if they could just pay me less and I would fix it without a salvage title, he said no, it has already been rendered totaled and only if I dropped the claim could I keep it unsalvaged. I told a mc mechanic friend about vin destroy and he lost his mind stating they can"t do that and they just want my bike??? I know anything's possible, but when I asked adjuster, he said he just needed it in writing, that frame is not bent, from a mc or frame shop so he is protected if I crashed a bent frame and sued him for allowing me to ride it.

Believable or BS?

Last edited:
depending on how you feel about the offer (Can you replace your bike with the offer?), your best bet might be talking to an lawyer in your state. Did you use one at all for your medical?

I sounds like Bull to me, I don't see how an insurance company can destroy a vin. If you want a new frame you can buy one from Harley, You have to send them the old so they can destroy it, and then they'll give you a frame with your old VIN stamped in it so everything matches. I don't know what it would cost or all the details, or if it's worth it. IMO if you can do the work yourself and want to spend the time fixing it, or making it custom it's worth it, but if your gonna have the work done by someone, just junk the bike and get a new one. Just make sure you can get a new with the settlement, if you can't don't accept it until you can.
Maybe he meant it couldn't be registered until fixed and inspected......I know in Washington state, that you can register a non running Bike, or any other vehicle for that matter

depending on how you feel about the offer (Can you replace your bike with the offer?), your best bet might be talking to an lawyer in your state. Did you use one at all for your medical?

I sounds like Bull to me, I don't see how an insurance company can destroy a vin. If you want a new frame you can buy one from Harley, You have to send them the old so they can destroy it, and then they'll give you a frame with your old VIN stamped in it so everything matches. I don't know what it would cost or all the details, or if it's worth it. IMO if you can do the work yourself and want to spend the time fixing it, or making it custom it's worth it, but if your gonna have the work done by someone, just junk the bike and get a new one. Just make sure you can get a new with the settlement, if you can't don't accept it until you can.
Maybe he meant it couldn't be registered until fixed and inspected......I know in Washington state, that you can register a non running Bike, or any other vehicle for that matter

John, I already answered your PM, then came and read the thread... and agree more with wildspirit.

in my ooinion, #1 you want from the insurance company is to REPLACE what you lost. That means enough to buy AT least the same bike, with all the same accessories, minus a fair depreciation. The idea is to make you whole (meaning, if there was no accident, you would still be riding precious).

#2 is extra... ANY medical bills, lost time from work, pain and suffering, loss of USE of motorcycle. Also, if you had a lawyer, this is easier. Just mention the words "Loss of consortium"... it means you hurt so bad you couldn't perfom "husbandly duties", LOL!

#3 is getting something for your trouble, and POSSIBLY getting (or even BUYING) your old bike back. WITHOUT goofy restrictions or conditions!

Now, if it were me, and I got 1 and 2, I might be happy...

If you didn't get AT LEAST 1, and some of 2... and you WANT 3, then it is time to lawyer up!

Sorry to hear about your accident. You can't beat the bureaucracy, if the insurance company totaled it they will pay you off, but give you a salvage title. You will have to get a state issued VIN number, from your state Highway Patrol. Your DMV will then give you a special construction certificate of ownership. For insurance purposes, you will not be able to get insurance as a Harley-Davidson. It will then be a special construction in no way around it. Get you a good lawyer. try to get enough from the insurance company to buy you a new bike, as in 2007 or later. They come standard with six speed, and 96 inch motors. You'll be happier. Good luck.

Keep the rubber side down!

I saw an episode of Artland USA recently.
This Sat/Cable show travels the country in an RV (see below) looking for ... ART.
Well, they came across this guy in... I think in New Mexico.
He has lots of classic 50's 60's cars, all stock, all original, just sitting for sale in his junkyard.
He isn't well off by any means, almost getting by.
But when asked what was for sale; he said,
"Everything but my Harley and my Old Lady"
That pretty much sums it up for me.
Thanks WS97, Treeblue & Tech... & Glider, wherever the heck you are.

Attachments

• IMGP6641_Artland_RV.JPG
    IMGP6641_Artland_RV.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 14
Back