free website stats program Synthetics in an older bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetics in an older bike

Ishmael

I realize this topic of lubes gets beat around a lot, but being a new kid in this addiction, I gotta ask: I'm getting around to servicing my 2000 Fatboy with minimal mods and only 4,000 miles. I'm going with full syn Mobil V-Twin 20W50, HD+, and Spectro GL-1, engine, primary, trans. Would anyone hesitate to use the same in my 1999 Electra Glide Standard just because it has a few more miles on it? 49,000 to be exact. Thanking you in advance for any opinions/advice.
Ishmael

I put mobile 1(engine), spectro GL-1 (trans) and Furmula + in the primary on my friends 1999 ultra and he loves it. No leaks of no other issues. He has noticed the same changes I realized on my 09 ultra. ALL GOOD
Cooler running temps, smoother shifts, etc...

No probley go for it i changed mine to syth in trans and engine its a 1998 Fatboy

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I switched my 94 evo over to syn around 2000 and had no problems. I think in 99 there were plenty of cleaning additives in dyno oils you used then so sludge should be no problem. I've had friends that use syn oils in their pan heads with no regrets.

Syn oils have come a long way with better additive packages go for it:s

I kind of wonder if there is a mileage limit on switching from dino to synthetic? I have 107K on my 1988 EVO and need the engine to last just a little while longer. Any advice?

I kind of wonder if there is a mileage limit on switching from dino to synthetic? I have 107K on my 1988 EVO and need the engine to last just a little while longer. Any advice?

JMO --- what ever you been doing to get that kind of mileage -- Keep on , keeping on bro !!!! :a 107k on a 88 evo --- I'm guessin ya been doing the dino oil all this time?

Keep doing what ever you've been doing and run what ever you've been running, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Well after reading this I'm tempted to make the change in the 90 Lowrider. It's got about 30K on it. Doesn't appear to be using oil......if it's been setting it will puff a little at first start up. I figure that's a valve stem seal. Who knows, this might help reduce our dependency on OPEC......yeah.......right.

Back