free website stats program synthetic or standard | Harley Davidson Forums

synthetic or standard

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, this is only my second post, first was back in Jan. My question is; i have an 2002 FLHRI Roadking, bought used last April, had 12000 miles on it, now have 16000 miles. have no idea what kind of oil was used in bike, bike came from Florida and I live in Pa. should I go with synthetic oil or go with standard oil. have bike in barn and want to start getting it in shape for the coming riding season. thanks in advance for your help......Dave

The only question here is what brand synthetic? You can't go wrong with any quality synthetic you use, there is no best so do your research and you decide.
TQ has you covered.

The most important thing is not synthetic or regular oil...but frequency in which you change it...make that early and often..2500/3k regardless of which type you choose to run...an '02 does not run anywhere as hot as the new 96in motors...Harley's have run and survived for decades on regular oil...a lot of riders think just because they spend $10,12,14 a quart for oil they can run longer between changes...big mistake!...being an '02 with 16k..you will also want to have the cam shoe tensioners looked at for wear,the cam shoes was about the only weak link in the '02 models...02 was probably the best years mechanically for Harley in a decade...enjoy and ride safe

While the HD service manual and recommendations should be followed as a minimum, the guiding factor is how hard you run your bike. If you are like me, I do plenty of short trips, but at least 4-5 times a week, and some occasional long weekend rides. For rought service like ths, RKRDR2 does have a point, just follow the service manual rough/heavy service schedule and you won't go wrong.

As Smitty has aptly said many times, if you have multiple rides, you would go broke changing oil, tranny, primary too often, especially if it really does not need it.

So do work on your ride based on a set schedule based on needs and use; not wants or "perceived over the top service." It really comes down to economics and how often you ride...and host of conditions. Your ride, you decide!

roadking milo; yes, definitely listen to others' advice & go w/synth. Tons of recommendations on this site (use search option), but Mobil1 20W50 for v-twins & Spectro HD 20W50 seem to be tops for motor. Tranny recommendations also include M1 (75/90 or 75/140) or Spectro Platinum Trans oil. I use HD formula+ in the primary.

Also, best recommendation is to get the service manual for your bike, read it over & start getting things ready for your upcoming riding season. Cheers!

the moco recommands 5000 miles !? doesn't it ?

Yes they do...like you said it's just a recommendation...Oil being the life blood of the engine,by changing the oil early and often is the cheapest preventive maintenance insurance plan there is for your bike...jmo

One of the most over looked notes on the HD Regular Service Intervals chart is note #3 Perform Annually, I always recommend changing engine, primary and trans fluid right before putting a bike up for winter storage, regardless of mileage, if you're lucky enough to live someplace with year round riding then regular service intervals should work for you. Waiting to change engine oil too long is not healthy, changing engine oil too soon doesn't hurt a thing, except maybe your wallet.

Back