free website stats program Synthetic Oils In New Motors | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic Oils In New Motors

Smitty901 will probably shoot me for this, lol.

In my Dyna I have run Harley-Davidson Syn3 oil since day one, and I love it. My engine runs cooler and the transmission (I run it in all 3 cavities) is much quieter.

I hear good things about other synthetic oils and they are good and to each their own, but I myself have no issues recommending Harley-Davidson Syn3 either.

why not store it there free heat climate controled ?

Since I'm trading in my sportster they have to come to my house with a trailor to get my bike as part of the deal.

I can't imagine they would do 2 trips for free and the more I think about it, I don't want to take that long ride on no miles on the bike.

In my Dyna I have run Harley-Davidson Syn3 oil since day one, and I love it. My engine runs cooler and the transmission (I run it in all 3 cavities) is much quieter.

I hear good things about other synthetic oils and they are good and to each their own, but I myself have no issues recommending Harley-Davidson Syn3 either.

Just food for thought here, If you ran the syn 3 from day one, how do you know you wouldn't like a better quality oil even better? Using Syn 3 in the trans is like using water in the forks. There's been many a blued shifter fork in transmissions running syn 3 in them but the problem here is that you don't find out until it's too late.
If you tried a gear oil in the trans (especially Spectro), you would see the difference.

Hugo Chavez supplies the Syn 3 for Harley and aside from it being a blended oil and not a true synthetic, the price is as high or higher than quality full synthetic oils but if you did some checking, Harley themselves does not even recommend the Syn 3 in the trans any more, it's a matter of convenience on the dealers part . :s

I have ridden bikes from the dealership all the way from Sportster 883 to the Ultra Classic. Guess its a perk, lol. Anyway, some have had regular Harley oil and to me and IMO they have run hotter, and have the noise in the tranny, especially in 07. I asked Bob's Harley-Davidson, where I worked at the time to put it in all three cavities based on what I had noticed and just from talking to people and getting opinions from everyone. I gave it a shot and have been happy since.

Oops, part left out.

I am not opposed to switching to a different oil at all. Mobil1, Spectro, any of them. I was just voicing my opinion on the Syn3 oils as well.

Do some checking on the Syn 3 vs. other oils (full synthetics) and don't take just one source as a fact. Your bike will thank you.:s

You'll find many that swear by the Syn 3, but ask them a few technical questions and see just what they do know about bikes.

Will do. I will check into what options I have and see what the manufactors have to say, as long as people that use them.

The manufacturers will all say the same thing that their oil is the best for this and that, but go based on someone that knows the differences between oils and which will protect you better.

Indeed. I will be watching this forum to see what else people have to say, and see if I decide that it's time for a change in my Dyna.

Back