Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by dhorne, Jul 10, 2009.

1. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

I have a 2001 Ultra classic with 20,000 klm's and I have always used th mobil synthetic and a friend of mine has a 2002 softail with the same amount of KLM's , he noticed one day riding that mine was running a lot cooler I then suggested to run mobil synthetic , my question is , Is it too late for him to switch , he has been running the HD 20-50 , I dont want him to wreck nothing and then point fingers at the oil.......We run in 100 plus tempatures here in venezuela.........thanks

2. Doug_09ultra

Doug_09ultra Junior Member

I don't think it should be a problem. do you also run synthetic in the primary and tranny?

3. SparX

SparX Member

Your friend will be find using Synthetic.

Sparx

4. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

IMO a switch to Mobile 1 V Twin should not cause any problems.

5. doj1975

doj1975 Active Member

Smitty, just a quick question. Synthetic oils are supposed to reduce friction better than conventional oils. So, if friction produces heat, why wouldn't syn oils reduce heat from an engine?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Synthetic oils will reduce heat but not to a big degree like some say 20*

7. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

Thanks for all your advice , I am running in 100 plus most of the time here and syn in my evo cooled i off as much as 20 degrees , it was running around 230 in town and now it is never (rarely)over 210 , as one guy mentioned syn in the primary , i found my clutch to slip with this oil , formula plus seems to work great ,as well as spectro syn in the tranny....hmm good stuff

Lets not forget the pledge to make her look good as well...

Again thanks to all..

8. motor710

motor710 Member

We use to use ony Synthetic oil and had the same problem with the clutch slipping. Switched to Formula Plus in the primary and did not have a problem any more.

9. billnapabill

billnapabill Active Member

My mechanic buddy tells me that while the old synthetic oils reduced friction, they didn't transfer heat very well and weren't as "stickey" as conventional oils, hence less cooling effect from the old type synthetics. He sez that the new "just for air cooled V-Twin syns" have been designed to transfer the heat better, resist cast off, are stickyer and do a much better job of reducing heat and wear, especially in high temps. He still don't recommend the Harley Syn3 tho, sez it's old technology and Harley needs to change it.

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

It's also not a true synthetic but a blend of lesser oils that stretches the truth about being called a synthetic.