free website stats program Synthetic Oil Change POLL | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic Oil Change POLL

When Did You Change To Snythetic Oil?

• Right away when I got home

Votes: 75 7.8%
  • At 100 miles

Votes: 27 2.8%
  • At 1000 miles

Votes: 358 37.3%
  • At 2000 miles

Votes: 49 5.1%
  • At 3000 miles

Votes: 75 7.8%
  • At first oil change

Votes: 180 18.8%
  • I waited longer

Votes: 154 16.0%
  • I wouldn't use synthetic oil

Votes: 42 4.4%

• Total voters
1st oil change at 140 kms (approx 90 miles) with HD 20-50. Changed tranny and primary at 1400 kms (approx 870 miles) to QS syn 75W-140 and M1 20w-50. Had to take it for a little run to Ontario and changed the engine oil when I got back to M1 20w-50 at 2000kms (approx 1240 miles).

I read some posts here saying - not using syn - bike is too old and/or too many miles. Question - can syn oil be a bad thing for an older bike with several thousand miles. Mine is an '01 with 43K miles. I bought it used and it has dino oil in it now from HD shop, can I switch to synthetic next oil change or would that not be such a good idea?

thankx
Bill

I dont think switching with alot of miles is good may end up with leaks

synthetic oils do not cause leaks, I do not care what anyone says, bad gaskets or gaskets that are going bad cause leaks, I have ran oil in all my bikes except my Sporty I had a few years ago, which was the only one that leaked at the rocker box. Besides that, synthetic oil is alot better than regular oil, all the test that are out there prove it, but they still recommend changing oil at recommended service intervals.

True about bad gaskets but a film of clean oil makes the seal and i have seen changing of oils in cars to cause leaks

I've been using Amsoil from day 1 but lately been hearing other information about different oils for motorcycles that need to have different additives.

Bought my ride (1989 FLHTCU with Screaming Eagle III used with just over 42,000 miles) and quickly changed the oil to a synthetic (Maxum4 Premium) and the transmission as well as primary to HD primary/tran fluid. After rebuilding her top and bottom ends (47,500 miles), I broke them in with dino oil (Valvoline 20W-50) then at 110 miles switched back to the synthetic.
This week, I plan to make the following changes:

oil - Spectro HD Golden 20W-50 oil,​

transmission - Spectro HD Platinum 75W-140 Trans Lub,​

Primary - HD primary/tran fluid​

Unless anyone (Glider?) has a better recommondation for my favorite ride.

CatWoman ::rider

synthetic oils do not cause leaks, I do not care what anyone says, bad gaskets or gaskets that are going bad cause leaks, I have ran oil in all my bikes except my Sporty I had a few years ago, which was the only one that leaked at the rocker box. Besides that, synthetic oil is alot better than regular oil, all the test that are out there prove it, but they still recommend changing oil at recommended service intervals.

i think i disagree with this. my last scoot was a an 03 road king, at 5000 miles, i went to syn3, within 1000 miles, both jugs were leaking at the base gaskets, not pouring out, but there was definite seepage. l kept cleaning it off, it kept coming back. at 10000 miles, i went back to castrol, seepage gone.
now, maybe on the whole, syn does not cause leaks, but it did on my 03

Back