free website stats program Synthetic causes oil consumption? | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic causes oil consumption?

tlippy

Just turned 5K miles and am considering changing from HD360 to M1. On my 08' Softail I changed to Amsoil Syn at 1K miles and started using 8oz of oil every 500 miles. I also put on a power commander and straight pipes. I don't know if the oil burn was cause or effect. My 09' burns 2 oz of oil in 2500 miles which I am very happy with.
Here is the question? Do any of you notice increased oil consumption after changing to synthetic?

Unless you have some other causal factor (poorly seated rings, valves, etc.) the difference in oil consumption between dino and synth should be negligible. I've been running M1 in both an '07 Sporty and '09 FLHR since they were new and I burn about hte same as you do in your '09...about 2 oz in 2500 miles.

ya got something else going one .. both oils should burn the same amount which should be about nill

Never heard of oil consumption problems should not be any differance

Just turned 5K miles and am considering changing from HD360 to M1. On my 08' Softail I changed to Amsoil Syn at 1K miles and started using 8oz of oil every 500 miles. I also put on a power commander and straight pipes. I don't know if the oil burn was cause or effect. My 09' burns 2 oz of oil in 2500 miles which I am very happy with.
Here is the question? Do any of you notice increased oil consumption after changing to synthetic?

HEY tlippy

MAYBE YOUR OIL WAS TOO OLD....... HE HE HE

(private joke)(maybe)

I was reading on MY oil container...REDLINE 20/50 full synthetic quart bottle.."not for engine break in" "allow 3000 miles"....

Probably because redline is made from the high $$ base stock stuff GLIDER talked about a while ago.... GROUP 5.... only a FEW synthetics fall into this grouping....

I never read the 3000 miles that they recommend until recently BUT I DID put it in WAY before the recommended miles.. @450 to be exact on my new 09 FLHR.... This probably being the LEAST amount of miles on any new motor i have put it in (usually 1500)..... BUT i did the 10 X 30/60/30 break in on the rings right off the show room floor...... PROBABLE right after TALKING with YOU at cascade HD in BEND ORG..... tlippy ,,,

(THIS being the private joke) I'M the OLD GUY you talked with at bend org. trading in his 10 yr old bike... was that me?

I will watch the oil level and REPORT anything ABnormal on the 2009... nothing yet as i've added very little oil so far and 7000 on bike today.
WITH any of my other motors, i have waited for at least 1500 mi. before going to redline....(new and or rebuilt)

I did talk a fellow, years back, into putting 20/50 redline in his bike before he set off for sturgis (02? dyna with 8000 mi or so).....MAD as heck at me when he returned, said it was 2 quarts low when he got there, about 1350 miles or so.. very HOT that year, 80mph + was his style of getting there.

? GO FIGURE? HE couldn't see any reason for the usage .... So switched back to using revtec engine oil while in sturgis BUT KEPT THE SHOCK PROOF HEAVY in tranny...

Glad he was HAPPY with part of my suggested oil to use...

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with Smitty and others, switching to a synthetic should not cause oil usage. I have yet to get 2500 miles between oil changes having only 2000 miles on bike. I changed to mobil 1 at 180 miles and I have no oil usage that I can tell. I also broke it in 30/60/30 as prescribed straight out of the box.

I ran regular oil for 5,000 miles, so that the rings would seat in properly. Then I started using synthetic oil. I've heard of some bikes not seating the rings in as well when using the super slick synthetic oil during brake in. Some BMW's have had this problem, but you'll hear strong opinions as to whether one is better then the other to use during brake in. Just my opinion, there are going to be lots more of them here for you to read.... Beside, what do I know?

New to dhtalking but just wanted to say I just changed over to all synthetics (engine, trans & chaincase) & no unusual usage problems.

Good Luck,

Art

Back